communicators and full face masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerardnealon

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone here dive with communicators? I had a few questions about them...

1. How is the sound clarity
2. Do all communicators require full face masks
3. If so do these full face masks leak often and are they hard
to clear

Thanks for any info.

Gerard

gerardnealon:
Anyone here dive with communicators? I had a few questions about them...

1. How is the sound clarity
2. Do all communicators require full face masks
3. If so do these full face masks leak often and are they hard
to clear

Thanks for any info.

Gerard

I have a couple of full face masks with communications that I don't really use any more.

There are some that don't require a FFM but the clearity isn't as good because you have to talk with a reg in your mouth.

With the FFM the sound quality is good as long as the environment is good...thermoclines and turbidity can be a problem and you need line of site so any kind of obstruction is a problem.

A full face mask can leak but when it does air goes out rather than water comming in.

they are easy to clear if they are flooded (though it's very hard to flood them) by just depressing the purge on the reg.

A far bigger problem that flooding is CO2 build up if the mask has a problem, isn't designed well or doesn't fit well because of the potential for dead air space.

Handling emergencies such as sharing air is also different because with most designes and configurations you must remove the whole mask to switch to a different reg.

Gas switch blocks and quick disconnect present their own problems when used to get emergency gas.

wow, thanks for the very informative reply. I never thought of some of the issues you brought up. Do you need special regulators for the FFM also? Thanks again.

gerardnealon:
wow, thanks for the very informative reply. I never thought of some of the issues you brought up. Do you need special regulators for the FFM also? Thanks again.

I don't know about all masks but the Ocean Reef can be purchased with their reg of an adapter can be used to mount most regs to it.

Some masks are ambient pressure masks so some regs will have a tendancy to free flow. The Ocean Reef has an optional valve that makes it a pos pressure mask and then you avoid that problem.

Reg mounting position can also effeect how a reg breaths. In a FFM the reg isn't in your mouth and may be a ways away from your mouth. If the reg is mounted in front you may notice a big change in breathing resistance as you change positions so you'll almost for certain need an adjustable reg in that case.

Some masks mount the reg on the side, some on the front and some like the Ocean reef let you mount in either position or even mount two regs.

With this system, how do you equalize? Is it the same as a conventional mask?

Scubamax

There is an adjustable nose block that you use to block your nostrals. You tip the regulator toward you nose by pushing on the top. The block comes up and pinches off your airway.

Hallmac

Gerard,

If you would like to see how clear comms can be, have a look at this site:

http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/library.html

There are a couple of video clips there that will show you how clear they can be. You should have a high speed connection though. The files are pretty large.

As for masks. Not all are created equal. Have a serious look at the AGA mask. It's the standard of the public safety divers and military for good reason. There are some others as well. The Ocean Reef mask is junk. Research it and don't spend your money right away.

mntdiver:
Gerard,

There are a couple of video clips there that will show you how clear they can be. You should have a high speed connection though. The files are pretty large.

As for masks. Not all are created equal. Have a serious look at the AGA mask. It's the standard of the public safety divers and military for good reason. There are some others as well. The Ocean Reef mask is junk. Research it and don't spend your money right away.

... that oil rig video from a trip that I did to Florida a while back. The sea lions were cool to watch!

mntdiver:
Gerard,

Thanks, I d/led the video and its a lot clearer than i thought. Those sea lions were real cool. Any thought on the Scubapro FFM? Thanks for the advice.

Gerard

gerardnealon:
Anyone here dive with communicators?
Gerard

Gerard,

I have a friend I won't buddy with anymore when he wears his full face mask & communicator. The guy just won't shut up! & part of the reason I love diving is for it's peacefulness. I'm sure communicator's have their place, but not with me for a buddy.

Just another point of view.
Paula

Back
Top Bottom