Communication Devices Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kicker1866

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With age comes wisdom, but alas we sacrifice a few things along the way. For me, it is my hearing....I wear hearing aides because of severe tinnitus. The last few years I have noticed that I do not hear "tank bangs" or my buddies "shaker rattle" when we are underwater.

I am curious about some of the underwater communication systems that vibrate, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences?

Russell

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Deleted the duplicate thread that was in the Cozumel forum and moved the only non-snarky reply from there to here.

learn about lighting and get some relatively tight and powerful lights. Flash at their mask. Alternatively, don't dive so far away from your buddies. We don't use tank bangers, rattles, etc. when we are tech diving, it's all about lights.

+1. In addition, if you are diving close to your buddy (as you should be), you can often get their attention if they are ahead of you. Just shine your tight beam on the seafloor/ wreck in front of them and shake it back and forth rapidly to get their attention. Also, the two of you can signal OK to each other, but making a big O with your light. In many situations you can do this signaling without having to look at each other.

I also wear hearing aids and do not hear tank bangs or rattles. I tell people to try to get my attention with their light, this works pretty well. If I see a glint of light, I will look around for the origin.

I avoid this entirely much of the time by diving solo :)

This device might be a solution...

Buddy Watcher System - Benthic Scuba

That's actually pretty cool if it works. I wonder what the range is?
I notice it's listed as a clearance item and the price has been reduced (still $350 though! - pretty pricey!) so obviously hasn't been popular enough to keep it alive as a product.

Either divers are not that interested, the price is just too high or it just doesn't work all that well. Could be any combination or even all three, I suppose! Too bad because if the product worked and was about half the price (preferably less), I would be interested.

Oh well. For now, I'll just keep an eye on my buddy (and try to remember to silence those darn computer alarms that everyone but me can hear!!)

Back
Top Bottom