Commercial dive schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi and welcome to the board! I am also going to The Ocean Corp here in Houston and I have nothing but very good things to say about them. I am however 36 and have had no problems so far. The school here does a big meet and greet with the major companies around the area and will do everything they can to get you hired. Myself I am looking to try getting into NASA or Fl DOT inspecting bridges. The school is also rated as one of the best in the world so you might want to check them out. One thing I have learned so far is that you don't go in there thinking you are going to get to start diving right away, at least at my school you are there for about 3 months before you get wet, during that time you are learning different inspection meathods.
Hope this helps you out! And good luck!

Toolbox-13:
Check out Louisiana Technical College Young Memorial Campus in Morgan City Louisiana
you will get the most bang for your buck and the training is top notch. The school is also in Morgan City which is where alot of the big Commercial Diving Companies are located.
I went there in 2004 and I saved over $10,000 compared to the private schools.
here is there web site
http://www.commercialdiveschool.com/diving/

thanks for the info. i have looked at their school as well. my only really big concrern is work after school. if companies will even concider someone a little older. or if they will feel that it would be more benificial to hire someone younger with more years to dive.
thanks again

Before you do anything else, go and talk to the diving contractors in the areas you want to work. The vast majority of diving work will be in harbors and contaminated waters. Find out what they do, how much they pay, and if they have a job for a new diver.

Diving is work and if you don't dive you don't get paid. You have a cold, so what, the job has to get done, there is a contract and it will be done by this date - if you don't dive someone else will.

Also, as another poster stated you have to do your dues as a tender first, and they don't get paid much. Sometimes a little above minimum wage and if you are lucky 25-30 dollars in perdiem when you are on the road. It is worse on the Gulf, many divers only make money because they are off shore and don't have living costs.

Make sure that they take witholding and social security from your check. Many will work you as an independent contractor and at the end of the year you have to come up with you income and SS taxes.

NAVYGUY:
I'm looking for a few answers about commercial dive schools. I've looked at them all from the West coast to the East coast to LA and TX. The thing is i can't seem to get any striaght answers from the private schools about what certs i will get and how much they will help me. So is it worth it to go to an expensive school and do most companys look at what schools you went to? I'm interested in all aspects of commercial diving! The other thing is i'm 31, but in great shape and have 9 years of Naval service (couldn't be a Navy diver since i'm colorblind) will any of these factors play any part in companys willing to hire or even give me the oppertunity to prove myself? Any help is great. I just love to dive and am a stellar worker i just want to put my dedication to the underwater world.
Hello NAVYGUY and welcome to Scuba Board,

You have gotten some very good and current information so far, particularly from, Covediver, Tool Box and Gilldiver, I have sent you a PM but for the benefit of others, I will post the bulk of it here.....thank you for your service in the US Navy......

I went through a similar dilemma years ago when I got out of the military. When I say "years ago" that means 30 years ago so consider the following very dated.

First off, you will be hard pressed to get a straight answer from any of the diving schools as it in their best interest to get you into their school. You are off to a good start by asking people who were in the industry but if I could suggest you contact a commercial diving company to find out their recommendation. I will try to find a few names and numbers for you and forward them in a follow up PM.

Now your age at 31 will probably (This has been discounted, by others here who are probably more currently informed that I am) not be factor, but remember, most people who stay in the industry are only in it for 10 years. I say most people who stay in because the drop out rate once you finish school and start work is very high. This is something the school will never tell you until you get into class and have an instructor who has been there and done that.

Having said that, you must ask yourself why such a high drop out rate. Is it because the job is inherently dangerous? No, most guys/gals who have made the decision to enter the field have accepted the risk. From my experience and the consensus of the guys I talked with who fell away from the business was the fact that you will be off shore so much and away from your family, friends etc. that it is just not worth it.

If you are married or thinking of getting married (and I suppose a 31 year old has to have that in the back of his mind) or intend on having a meaningful relationship with someone, think long and hard about the decision to become a commercial diver. I know, this discouraging advice has probably been given to you as it was given to me, but I just as I chose to ignore it you probably will too because for us "things will be different"......what a mistake, please consider the impact this career will have on your personal life.

The issue of which school to go....if I remember correctly, the companies that I interviewed and worked for really did not seem to care where I went to school or what certs I had with the exception that guys who could weld had a better chance, but not so much so that I would spend a fortune getting that cert. Nowadays, companies might be looking for someone with medical training, but, please remember, it has been a long time since I wore a KMB-10.

:)-) If I were to do it over, I would go when it's warm, where it's warm and not pay too much.

Here are a few other things to think about. Not only will you be living offshore for possibly months at a time, you may be bunked with some "mates" from walks of life you would rather not be around.

Once you do start in the industry, you will not start as a diver, there is a long period of apprenticeship (you are called a tender) before you ever get into the water...up to 2 years.

Health issues: Commercial diving is very hard on the body, after 10 years of diving I know a few guys who remind me of football players...every bone in their body aches.

If I have not dissuaded you from becoming a commercial diver, then please contact a few more of the following. Someone who is currently in the industry (and had been for at least a couple of years) and a few commercial diving companies. I will see if I can come up with some contacts for you.

Good luck in whichever direction you go.

couv

smilies-41093.png

It does help with discussions if you complete your Profile. And it's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: and be careful about posting Threads & Replies without reading the Stickies at the tops of most forums. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

The Ocean Corp in Houston is a great school.

You probably aren't going to get a lot of "straight" answers because everyone goes into commercial school thinking they are going to graduate, get hired and start diving. In most cases, it doesn't work that way. When you get out of school you will most likely be hired in an entry level position. Sort of an apprenticeship. You'll get a chance to prove yourself as a tender and not make a lot of money at first. If you can handle that, later on you'll get a chance to get wet a time or two and see how you do. Then you can progress a little further until finally you have shown competence in all areas, gained some experience and then they will start putting you on some shallow air jobs. While you are "learning" on the job, you will have a chance to accumulate your actual diving gear.

Most commercial schools would have a hard time selling the entry level beginner aspect of the job -- it's more exciting to talk about deep gas diving and paint big pictures in the students minds. That is why people are going to commercial school, not to make a career of holding hose, which is where you start.

There is obviously a lot more to it than I know or have described here, but I suggest you visit a school and see for yourself and if you are still enthusiastic about it, then go for it.

Tim O'Leary (NAUI Technical Operations Director) is a graduate of The Ocean Corporation and has his own company in far south Texas. I suggest you contact him for his insight as well. His website is here-----> Amercian Diving

Good luck!

i know i will start as a tender and not have a lot of dive time and money but it's something that i have always dreamed of and now that i have the chance when i get out of the military i'm going for it. my main thing is are the companys looking for a younger person. like i have said i'm 31 but in the best shape of my life. i've gotten a lot of feed back about schools and i'm looking into the school in morgan city LA. it's less expensive and the same training as the other private schools. i started at the bottom in the navy and worked my way up just as in any career choice for people like us i expected to start at the bottom. thanks for the info i will get ahold of tim and see what he suggests.

Welcome NAVYGUY and good luck following your dream...

Hello again Navyguy,

When will you be getting out of the Navy? At age 31 I am wondering how many years of service you have.

Anyway, keep us posted...might want to keep an online journal here.

couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom