Comments on this reg would be appreciated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba newbie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all!! I plan on purchasing the Sherwood Blizzard and would like opinions/comments on it, pros or cons. Are there any other regs in the same price range that I should consider, I've been researcing and am leaning towards this one. I will be diving Ontario in summers and Florida in winters. Thank you for your input.

There's a lot of posts in this forum already for the Blizzard. I have one (i'm also in Ontario) and I bought it for 4 reasons:

1) Cold water features (I dive St. Lawrence and Tobermory)
2) Reliability/Service - repairs on this reg are simple
3) Affordability
4) Comfort - I found the mouthpiece, overall weight and exhaust features to be good

Feel free to ask any questions.

scuba newbie:
Hello all!! I plan on purchasing the Sherwood Blizzard and would like opinions/comments on it, pros or cons. Are there any other regs in the same price range that I should consider, I've been researcing and am leaning towards this one. I will be diving Ontario in summers and Florida in winters. Thank you for your input.

I used the Blizzard for over 10 years and it is a good regulator, never had any problem with them even in the cold water off Vancouver Island. But I most admit that I had a few freezing on me doing ice diving. But that will not be a problem for you if you diving during the summer months in Ontario and Florida in the winter. You could also take a look at the DiveRite RG 2500 which is what I use now, the prices should be pretty close to the sherwood(About $500 Canadian).

I too have the Blizzard. They don't need any special accessories for use in cold, turbid Ontario water and are quite rugged. They have a reputation for being a little hard breathing at depth, but I've no complaints within recreational limits.

Thanks for the input, I'm new to the site and was anxious to post. I've since takin your advice and went back more than a couple of pages. Next post will be something that isn't brought up every two weeks. Thanks again.

scuba newbie:
Thanks for the input, I'm new to the site and was anxious to post. I've since takin your advice and went back more than a couple of pages. Next post will be something that isn't brought up every two weeks. Thanks again.

Hi there,

I was looking at the Blizzard as well. I found that the purge was extremely stiff, but I did like the exhaust? I also heard that the was harder to breathe at depth but have no personal experience there. I ened up going with the Apeks ATX50 DS4 DIN and am "extremely" happy with it!

good luck, and welcome to the board!

I still have my Blizzard hanging on its peg doing nothing, other than waiting for a buyer. Some days I miss it. I'm fond of hanging upside down, and I found the Blizzard breathes very nice and dry.

Only thing I don't miss about it is the way it looks. That is one ugly mother of a reg! LOL

The Blizzard is a very good choice for where you live. I have one that I purchased back in 1995 that I still use today. It is one of the older models with a heat sink on the exhaust port. I frequently dive in 40 F – 60 F and never had a problem with it freezing up on me. Even when I breathe through it on the surface after a dive in cold temps, it keeps on going never freezing.

Over the past twenty some odd years I have purchased quite a few regulators. I own two Scubapro G250’s MK10 & 20, a set of Dacor Pacers (which I recently sold), a Sherwood Blizzard and a Sherwood Maximus setup, and an older Poseidon Odin / Jetstream. I have never had a problem with any of these regulators at anytime. Some breathed slightly better than others but not by much. I enjoy some of the comments on this site from divers that have only used one or two regulators their entire life. I always appreciated the moisture retention of the Sherwood’s over many other brands. The Maximus, Blizzard, and Oasis have this feature.

Now if you plan on going into some kind of Extreme Tech or Deep Saturation diving way over 130ft I would use a couple Kirby Morgan Super Flow regulators that have been tested to 1600 ft and screw everything else. I’m not that crazy so I’ll sick to what I have. LOL

Another alternative in the same price catagory is the Genesis GS 2000 (MSRP $425.00 you can get it from Scuba.com for $199.00). It has an environmentally sealed first stage and breathes really easy. Here is a great place to start your research on scuba equipment. Mother of all reg reviews

Genesis GS2000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom