Comments needed- Club El Mardarin or Sunscape Puerto Adventuras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harro10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to quickly book a dive trip with my son. I will be away next week and we have to go in early June. Apple has some good prices posted for Club El Mandarin (north of Playa) and Sunscape Puerto Adventuras (south of Playa). I have to economize and that is why I am looking at these discounted locations. Can anyone comment on these resorts and the diving in their areas? Any recommendations for dive operators by those hotels? We will want to do both open water and cenote diving.
All comments will be appreciated. I will probably have to book in the next two days to get these deals.

I have been diving at the Riviera Maya for many years, and since last year I only use the services of PRO DIVE in Puerto Aventuras. If you dont stay there they provide free transportation from your Hotel. The service is second to none, they offer a great variety of scuba trips all very convenient from the marina at Puerto Aventuras. I understand that they have now their own operation and boat in Cozumel providing comfortable door to door service for dive excursions to dive in Cozumel.

I did a few Cenotes dives with them, very professional. The briefing alone was extremely detailed and I learned a lot. This dive operation does not work with divemasters but only with dive instructors. That tells you something about their level of safety and quality. I dived with Julio who is a very experienced instructor, speaks four languages fluently, and is patient and considerate.

Also they offer their NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC whale shark safari, I will travel back to try that - swimming with Whale Sharks, cant wait!

You will be in very good hands, dont worry! The diving will be the best part of your vacation!

Steve
:D

We just got back from the area and were diving with Dennis from Diablo Divers (he operates out of Aquanauts Dive Center for the boat dives)

We have nothing but good things to say about everyone at Aquanauts. The instruction was top-notch. All personnel in the dive shop and on the boat were friendly and accomodating.

While diving there we met many Canadians and others passing through who were repeat customers. Dennis is originally from Canada, and the other owner, Lynn is originally from Great Britain. (Please correct me if I'm wrong folks)

I would highly recommend Dennis (www.diablodivers.com) and Aquanauts Dive Center (www.aquanauts-online.com). We will be going back again next year (possibly staying at the Sunscape to be close by - please let me know your thoughts eyebrow )

I would recommend the Sunscape over the Mandarin because of the location. The Mandarin is about 15 minutes north of Playa so you need transport to leave the resort. The Sunscape is located in Puerto Aventuras where there is a nice commercial zone with many resturants, shops and a marina for your enjoyment... gives you more to do during the day and in the evening.

From the outside, the Mandarin has a nicer beach and pool area. I don't know about the food and rooms. The diving from the Sunscape area is way better than from the Mandarin area.

Dennis

We had a disastrous stay at the Sunscape, but it seems to be getting halfway decent reviews since it was redone after Wilma. It sounds as if the management also changed, which was one of the main problems when we were there. I wish you luck, since you already have it booked. Tripadvisor.com is a good place to read reviews of hotels and resorts.

ProDive is based at the Sunscape (also has a center at the Catalonia next door), and we enjoyed diving with them. Their dive shop is right on the beach, but you do have to schlep your gear (except the tanks) to the boat in the marina (about a 5 minute walk). Small boats, backroll entry. ProDive is a bit more expensive than either Dive Aventuras or Aquanauts, and is probably about $10 or so more for a two-tank dive (80-something versus 70-ish). ProDive (a German owned/operated business) is very professional and thorough.

The diving is nice around PA, and the dive sites are close. We only wish we had time to go on a whale shark excursion. They all do cenote trips, if that's your cup of tea.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

And.................. if Tina is still at ProDive, you won't be disappointed! :wink:

My husband and I just returned from Puerto Aventuras. We stayed at the Sunscape and did our diving with Pro Dive located at the Suncape hotel. We both are pretty new to diving, so we werent' sure what to expect. We never expected to have the trip of our lives! We have so many great memories. From diving in the Cenotes, to Cozumel, to diving with the beautiful turtles; we will never forget the experiences and the wonderful staff at Prodive Mexico. The staff at Pro Dive were VERY helpful, patient, and professional. Julio was our tour guide for most of the excursions and the photographer, Alex, takes amazing footage of your dives. They're link on the web is prodivemex.com! Hope this isn't to late to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom