Coming to visit you in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finstotheleft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I will be visiting NC June 12-15, for a wreck diving trip. I'm told that we will be diving the Papoose, and possibly seeing the sand tiger sharks. We will be diving with Olympus Dive Center.

I was wondering if you guys had any input for me...such as how to behave around these sharks (and get good pictures), info. on the dive site, and any other useful info. about the area (including good places to eat!). Personal experiences encouraged!

Everyone's "2 cents worth" will be appreciated....:)

Do they have good seafood?

Hi finstotheleft,

I was just out diving with Olympus last week...nice boat.

The Papoose is in about 130' feet of water. Good wreck, lots of life. I've dove there several times and have enjoyed it.

I just ignore the sharks and procede with the dive...they will not bother you.

As for places to eat, the pub at the bunk house is pretty good. The crew of the Olympus seems to know a lot of good places to eat.

The Papoose is an offshore wreck so, be prepared for a 2 hour boat ride. Seas can seem rough here in NC if you are not used to them. Take your sea sickness meds if needed. Also, it's not unusual for there to be a slight current.

Should be a good dive though. There have been times when I could see the outline of the Papoose from the surface.

one thing be ready in june will be a hot a heck so wear some suntan lotion non oil also the food is excellent as ElectricZombie told you all ready take some kind sea sickness meds the night before and don't eat any greasy food the morning of the dive and you will be ok also kind of deep dive so know you average air consumption and try to figure it out for at least a 100 feet to make sure you have right size tank for the dive. just a few hints !!!!
who knows I dive the Olympus quit a bit might see you there

Great info. so far....thanks and keep em' coming!

And they won't bother you. Sandtigers are great to dive with, very rarely threaten divers - very rarely pay attention to divers, honestly. If you see them do the back arched/fins down threat posture, start paying attention (and think about leaving) - something's probably riling them, like a hurt fish. In the one case I've seen, it was a wounded grouper inside the wreck. But, mostly, just enjoy swimming with them. I once had one swim so close to me, a remora came off the shark and stuck to my butt. And it wouldn't leave, the little @#%$.

Since I can't really guage your experience level, I'll give some basic advice, I'm sure it's stuff most folks know but just in case...

Drink lots of water, as somebody said it can be hot as heck. I bring a gallon jug along and try to drink at least half. As we all learned in OW, dehydration is a leading cause of DCS.

Gear: at deeper than 100 fsw, esp. if you're diving a single Al80, think about bringing a bail-out bottle (13 or 19cf) - probably never need it, but nice to have. Also, DEFINITELY bring a safety sausage/other signalling device (or take your fin off and wave it around, I guess) - it's a big ocean if you surface off the anchor line and have to signal the boat.

Seasickness - If you don't get seasick, well, lucky you - I'll be over here, hugging the rail. Boy, do I get seasick, and that's that. I find if I take one dramamine the night before, AND one the morning of, and don't eat greasy food, and sacrifice a chicken under the full moon, I'm usually ok. Usually. Anyway, about the only thing I'd say is, I also notice that seasickness meds seem to increase the affects of narcosis for me. If you haven't dove deep on seasickness meds before, just something to be aware of.

Hey, anybody remember the name of that great seafood restaurant near Olympus? Kind of a weird name, pretty well-known? The Clean something, or...I don't know. Anyway, go there, lots of good food, not too expensive.

Sounds like the fish rest you are talking about is Sanitary Fish market. On the water in MHC just a couple of blocks from Olympic dive. I have not eaten there in years but it use to be really good.

FTL, be prepared for long boat rides, deep conditions, rough seas, hot temps and there is always the possibility that the dives will be canceled. We do get great flat calm days but they are not the norm, so be prepared for rougher seas. If you have never taken a Carolina ladder ride, it's an experience not soon forgotten. (getting on a dive ladder in 6-8 ft seas)

trheeltek once bubbled...
I once had one swim so close to me, a remora came off the shark and stuck to my butt. And it wouldn't leave, the little @#%$.

That is hilarious!

I have been on one ocean dive, it was in the Gulf, and waters were super calm. Unfortunately I do get sea sick, so I'm nervous about the rougher seas in N.C.! The "ladder ride" that Herman mentioned also makes me nervous! Honestly, I'm nervous about the whole darn thing! :eek: I'm a fairly new diver, so I want to make sure I'm prepared for this. I should have my advanced cert. before I go, and I think I've read everything there is to know about Sand Tigers.

I also have stock in Dramamine.... :)

did you select for your AOW?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom