Coming to the Big Island in March and we have a few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texfrazer

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, the wife and I have decided that we will be spending most of our trip to Hawaii this March on the Big Island. We will have our 14 month old in tow for the time we are there. Since I have learned so much from reading the posts here, I figured that I would ask the experts a few questions:

1) Has anyone used DiveTek, and more specifically, their childcare services?

I have looked at the possibility of using one of the nanny services during the day while my wife and I do at least an afternoon/Manta dive, but my wife would much rather have Maggie along with us and DiveTek advertises that they will provide onboard childcare for Maggie.

2) Any other recommendations for diving while on the Big Island and/or nanny services?

We desperately want to do some diving, but we also want to make sure Maggie is safe.

Thanks in advance!!!

Tex

I would be really interested in your experience with the onboard childcare if you choose to use it.
We just got back from 9 days on the Big Island and brought our own childcare. It was a waste of money , as no dive boats went out the entire time we were there.

...as no dive boats went out the entire time we were there.
Storms like that one happen every year or few; bummer this one was when you were here.

Diving wise as far as I've heard we were fairly lucky this time compared to the last few really bad storms. Only around a week or so of bad water, at least in some/most(?) areas.

Yeah...no worries, we will just have to come back sooner.
It is not such a bad place to sit back and watch it rain.....

I'd be interested in hearing about the childcare services as well. Another question to keep in mind...will your 14 month old be happy on a boat for several hours? Also...if your child is not "happy" out there, will it affect the other people's enjoyment on the boat? I'm not "anti-kid"...I just feel that most adults on a dive boat are out there to enjoy an adult day away from little kids underfoot.

Cuddlefish,

I completely understand the concern about an unhappy 14 month old. Of course things could be different by then, but thus far, at 11 months, she has never been unhappy when around people as she seems to be a true extrovert.

With DiveTek, they advertise childcare and thus I would expect people would be prepared for that possibility.

I'm hoping someone whose had some experience in all of this will chime in with an operator/nanny report before we get there.

When we go to the Big Island we dive with Wanna-Dive in Kona. Small boat, great DM. Steve is the owner/operator and Bob is his DM/Guide. Check out his Blog, send him an e-mail, he has been in Kona for many years and he can probably get you hooked up.
Here is his blog: A Kona Hawaii Scuba Diver blabbers on
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom