coming for a visit to Melbourne......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmbaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good day. I will be traveling to Melbourne for 6 weeks from april until mid may for business and would like to get some diving in as well as exploration above land. I am told I will be right downtown Melbourne at ANZ bank. I would welcome any advice on where to dive, eat, explore, or if you want to meet up, share a pint or two.

As far as the diving, I plan to bring basics over such as mask, computer, booties, fins, hood and maybe a reg. I am AOW/Nitrox certified.

So are there places close by to dive and also how are the prices?

Look forward to meeting some of the folks from the community here. Thanks

Gary

i was just in melbourne diving.. about 1 week ago.. and i found the only real place to dive was around the point near Portsea, which is around a 2 hour trip from melbourne, the trip isnt that much of a drama although make sure you have accom when you get there.. although there is all sorts off accom available...

i dived with Dive victoria who have 3 boats going all day long.. its some interesting diving.. a big change from Cairns!

gmbaker:
Good day. I will be traveling to Melbourne for 6 weeks from april until mid may for business and would like to get some diving in as well as exploration above land. I am told I will be right downtown Melbourne at ANZ bank. I would welcome any advice on where to dive, eat, explore, or if you want to meet up, share a pint or two.

As far as the diving, I plan to bring basics over such as mask, computer, booties, fins, hood and maybe a reg. I am AOW/Nitrox certified.

So are there places close by to dive and also how are the prices?

Look forward to meeting some of the folks from the community here. Thanks

Gary

Howdy Gary

There's alot of diving along the Mornington Peninsular, with the easiest shore dives being Rye Pier, Portsea Pier and Blairgowrie Yacht Squadron. Boat dives can be arranged via Dive Victoria (http://www.divevictoria.com.au/) or Queenscliff Dive Center if heading down the other side of the bay. Either way, its about an hour and a half from the city.

Dive gear can be hired from Dive Vic in Portsea or Dive and Dive in Braeside (http://www.divevictoria.com.au/). There are a lot of other places, but these are the only two that I have really had any dealings with.

I personally have primarily used Dive and Dive for my gear - you can't miss them; they are in the JV Marine complex on Springvale Rd on the way down to the Peninsular. Peter has never steered me wrong.

As for catching up with the locals, check out the local forum www.diveoz.com.au - there is always someone looking to go diving.

All the best and enjoy the diving

gmbaker:
many thanks for the info. I am settled in and now look into these places.

Hey Gary,

Relatively speaking, I think that my being from Toronto, we are from the same area! I too relied heavily on info and advice from the good folks around Scuba Board (and the DiveOz forum already mentioned).

I am staying in Melbourne for four months, so allow me to give you my experiences, from a the perspective of a visitor from the eastern seaboard of North America!

- Diving here is great! Not the best viz in the world, but interesting, and diverse, wrecks are very cool with lots of fish on them

- Shops I have had contact with are all great

- I settled on one shop for all my Mornington/Portsea diving, since it seemed to make sense to get to know one operation, better or worse, than it was to move around a lot

- The shops are not especially "geared" towards the tourism market, and are mostly domestic diver oriented; you will notice subtle differences from say, resort dive shops that are 100% tourism oriented

- I chose to dive with IDC Scuba out of Portsea and have done about 12 dives with them over the last 2 months; we negotiated a long term discount deal for my 4 month stay (including membership into their "Dive Club") as I will be diving with them almost every weekend for four months

- I brought my full arctic style dry suit and a 3 mil full coverage wet suit, but haven't used either (yet), bought a great 5 mil one piece down here, that has served me well so far in temps from 64-68F

- A local’s idea of “cold” may differ from those of us from “north”. You will have to make up your own mind on temperature recommendations.

- Make yourself a little chart with metres to feet and degrees C to F converted and keep it with you! Unless you can quickly convert in your head you may get lost on dive briefings talking about 26m max depths expect temps of around 17!!!

- Seriously, an inability to quickly convert in your head could be a safety issue when communicating during a briefing, so consider keeping a chart handy. I am used to working in Imperial & Metric at the same time, so it wasn’t a big deal for me, but….

- Give up on converting tank pressures in Bars to PSI !!!! It best to communicate about tank pressures/volumes in terms of scale, 1/4, 1/2, full.... I dove with a local fella last weekend, and of course his gauge was in bars and mine PSI, at least the general scale on our analog gauges looked similar, and we were able to agree to dive the "thirds rule" and surface "before the read part on our respective gauges"

- Did four dives in the Eden area over Easter weekend, FANTASTIC!! A bit of a hike, but highly recommend it if you get the chance.

- You are on your own to get used to everyone's accents!!! One caution though:

"How you going?" is NOT an inquiry about what method of transportation you are considering for some kind of travel in the near future. It is something akin to "How are you?" and requires no actual honest response, same as in North America.

Oh, and G’day means, 1) Hello, 2) Goodbye, 3) How you going, 4) Its nice out today, 5) Good Evening, 6) Good morning, 7) Insert greeting of choice here

“No worries” means: 1) Thank you, 2) Please, 3) Yes, 4) No, 5) I am not particularly concerned about that, 6) Insert platitude of choice here.

Enjoy your time in Melbourne! (Oh, and good luck finding a coffee that tastes like home) :D

Oh ya, one other thing, generally speaking the weather forecast in Melbourne is:

Sunny & Warm and Cold & Windy. Then later on the same day..... You get what I mean very soon. So if you go for a walk one day, take with you: shorts, sandels, ski jacket with winter hood, light slacks, a t-shirt, and a wool sweater, sunglasses and an umbrella, a baseball cap, and some running shoes. That should cover it for the morning walk at least.

.....Rick

Diver Rick:
- You are on your own to get used to everyone's accents!!! One caution though:

"How you going?" is NOT an inquiry about what method of transportation you are considering for some kind of travel in the near future. It is something akin to "How are you?" and requires no actual honest response, same as in North America.

Oh, and G’day means, 1) Hello, 2) Goodbye, 3) How you going, 4) Its nice out today, 5) Good Evening, 6) Good morning, 7) Insert greeting of choice here

“No worries” means: 1) Thank you, 2) Please, 3) Yes, 4) No, 5) I am not particularly concerned about that, 6) Insert platitude of choice here.

Enjoy your time in Melbourne! (Oh, and good luck finding a coffee that tastes like home) :D

Oh ya, one other thing, generally speaking the weather forecast in Melbourne is:

Sunny & Warm and Cold & Windy. Then later on the same day..... You get what I mean very soon. So if you go for a walk one day, take with you: shorts, sandels, ski jacket with winter hood, light slacks, a t-shirt, and a wool sweater, sunglasses and an umbrella, a baseball cap, and some running shoes. That should cover it for the morning walk at least.

.....Rick

:D Everyone loves to pick on the weather in Melbourne!! There's nothing wrong with a bit of variety! :shakehead

With regard to the language, one other piece of advice: we are a fairly laconic bunch, so get used to the answer to just about any question being "not bad"
- how was your weekend? ... not bad
- how's the weather outside? ... not bad
- how're you doing? ... not bad
- what did you think of ....? ... not bad

Enjoy your stay and enjoy the diving.

lancetre:
:D Everyone loves to pick on the weather in Melbourne!! :shakehead

But its such an easy target! Don't take it personally, its one of the few things you have no influence over!

With the addition of Gary, I think I will start a "Visiting North American Divers to Melbourne Dive Club! We will meet once a week, discuss dive sites, compare notes, translate local dialect for each other. Brush up on metric-imperial conversion formulae. I'm sure that PADI will come up with a training course for it sooner or later, and we could then get our VNADtoM Specialty Certification through this Club.

Gary? Anyone else? Possibly "Superform" 'cause I am sure the culture shock from Cairns was equally significant!

:mooner:

sure, thats sounds like a fine plan. Hell I am still trying to not get hit by cars who are driving on the wrong side of the road :)

sure, thats sounds like a fine plan. Hell I am still trying to not get hit by cars who are driving on the wrong side of the road :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom