Coming back to Hawaii: Maui or Kauai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yazmeen

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings to the Scuba Board community after quite a few years. Hubby and I are considering (a rather last minute) trip to the islands again. Full disclosure: I am the snorkeler and trip planner, he is the certified diver, just reached 800 dives, has advanced, wreck, Nitrox, and rescue certifications along with the basic, also is a good underwater photographer so camera is always with him. Last time there (2000) were were in Oahu, along with Hawaii/Big Island for the main diving part (sadly, the resort we stayed at, Kona Village has been closed due to tsunami damage for 5 years).

We need a recommendation: for diving and snorkeling, where would you go next: Maui or Kauai? Recommendations on dive operators and resorts are greatly appreciated. Appreciate all info!

I'm heading to Kauai next week, and we've been there before.

I've used FathomFive the last 3 trips, everything was pretty good. Did boat dives (south side, Poipu) and shore dives (north side, Tunnels).

Have never dove Maui

If your primary goal is snorkeling and diving, I would choose Maui over Kauai. Kauai's snorkeling was pretty limited, compared to Maui where pretty much any beach had decent snorkeling (at least in Kihei, Wailea, Kaanapali areas).

For diving, I've always stayed in south Kihei, the boats leave at 6:00 am and you're back after 2 dives by 9:30. I've used B&B scuba and on two different trips and liked them.

Keep in mind that only B&B departs at 6:00, everyone else pretty much departs between 6:45 and 7:15ish, getting you back at around 10:30-11:00am for a 2-tank charter. Ed Robinsons runs a 3-tank charter on Tuesdays that gets you back at around 1:00, but you're well fed with lunch and snacks all day.

Hmmmm ..... do I have the prime rib or the lobster dinner??

Probably happy either way! You are going to have a fantastic time above and below water either way as well. Maui and Kauai differ somewhat underwater for sure. Kauai is primarily an algae reef so you don't see the abundance of hard stoney corals to the degree you see on Maui. Both islands do offer great opportunities for lava tubes, caves, and overall fascinating reef structure. Kauai shares some critters with the northwest Hawaiian islands that you are less likely to see on Maui thru the Big Island. Maui and Kauai are both world class opportunities to dive with the Hawaiian green sea turtles. Kauai is a great dive destination for those looking to dive Niihau which is in my humble opinion the best diving in Hawaii (albeit quite advanced at times). Maui has long(er) range trips to Molokai and and Molokini (depending on port of departure) which offer advanced diving as well. I don't want to go overboard with this but there are just so many differences. Maui has exponentially more shore diving and snorkel friendly spots for sure, though excellent opportunities for snorkeling exist on Kauai as well.

The professional norm out here with established dive operations is so impressive that I think the opportunities are so great for a diver that sometimes decisions can come down to topside amenities as well. Kauai is less developed and slower paced than Maui (I think it is fair to say), but by that token Maui also offers a night life not found on Kauai.

Anyway....both beautiful islands with endless opportunities for fun above and below. If you have specific questions please feel free to continue posting here or send a personal message. There are so many helpful people here on "The Board" that it's a great resource.

A

Should you go to Maui I personally love diving with Pauline and her staff at Mike Severns. I have also had nothing but good experiences with Ed Robinson's. I am on Kauai as you likely read so that is more my area of knowledge. Thanks for your time and enjoy your dive planning. Hope it's an amazing trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom