Coming and want to dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well it's 99% certain that I will be in Costa Mesa for some training the week of August 28th. Problem is I get in on the 28th at 5pm, have class Monday through Thursday till probably 4-5pm and leave Friday morning at 6:45am!

Is there any quick good shore dives that would be worth me hauling all my gear with me? I really would like to experience the SoCal dive area. If not how about just snorkeling? I still cound bring my 5mm wet suit, masks, fins and snorkel......

Also, if it does work out, is there anyone who would like to buddy up with me? I know it is a good ways off, but I like to give a good head up!

Thanks,

Jeff

AevnsGrandpa:
Well it's 99% certain that I will be in Costa Mesa for some training the week of August 28th. Problem is I get in on the 28th at 5pm, have class Monday through Thursday till probably 4-5pm and leave Friday morning at 6:45am!

Is there any quick good shore dives that would be worth me hauling all my gear with me? I really would like to experience the SoCal dive area. If not how about just snorkeling? I still cound bring my 5mm wet suit, masks, fins and snorkel......

Also, if it does work out, is there anyone who would like to buddy up with me? I know it is a good ways off, but I like to give a good head up!

Thanks,

Jeff
Sure... what time are you getting in on Sun. the 28th? It sounds like you are busy in class during the day. Are you thinking an early morning or night dive?

P.S. I see you are from Bloomington, IL. I grew up in Rochelle. Small world.

-Aaron

AevnsGrandpa:

Thanks,

Jeff

Does your company let you mix personal vacation with company travel. Many do. If so try and stay Fri and Sat. You will get tow days of diving here for the cost of a hotel. This will give you time for a boat dive trip to Catalina. If you can only make it out here infrequently Catalina is your best bet.. Lots of kelp and fish and life in general. If not there is plently of good shore diving near where you are staying. You will need to know a bit about surf entries

There are a few groups that do weekday night dives after work one one here in Redondo and one down in OC where you will be. Send PM for points if you want.

Expect water temps to be high 50s at the surface and low 50s at depth. Most peole use a 7mm wetsuit only one or two divers I know use 5mm.

Hi Dale,

I would be happy to dive with you in August during the week after your classes and/or meetings. We can do a late afternoon/ early evening dive, then a night dive if you would like.

I work in Orange, just north of Costa Mesa up the 55 Freeway. I am 30 minutes from Laguna and have my gear in my car all the time.

I don't get in Sunday till 5:09pm so by the time I would get my luggage and get the rental car and over to the hotel to check in it probably would be around 7pm. I am not apposed to diving that night but we'll see.

Aaron and Diver Jan, thanks for the offers, I'll see how things are as things get closer. I am traveling with a co-worker so I won't be able to stay any extra time.

Where do you get your tanks? I would need to rent tanks and weights. I was hoping to possibly do some shore dive off of Laguna since the class I am attending probably gets out later than boats go out.

I'll PM you all in August to get a final set up if you are able to dive with me.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Do you use Integrated weights? If so, I can bring you some lead. I also have tanks. So no need to rent if we dive together. I have two E7 80's and a HP Steel 72.

If you're going to be diving in Laguna, and are going to rent, I would suggest you rent from Laguna Sea Sports. They are right there near most of the popular dive spots in Laguna (walking distance).

Regards

Hi Jan,

Was on vacation yesterday so I was not able to check the board.

I do use integrated. I normally use a AL80, so steel would be nice so I don't have to have so much lead. If I would have 22-24 lbs for a 7mm farmer john with a AL80 in fresh water, what do you think I need in salt water with one of your steels?

Thanks for the offer. I'll probably take you up on it!

Jeff

Jeff,

You can also give me a call for a dive if you like. Day, evening or night dive Monday through Sunday.

What you will need and what you can rent:
Bring: Mask, fins, Snorkel (required in Laguna), boots, gloves, dive light (2 if night diving), dive knife or shears.
Bring or Rent: Wetsuit, BC, regulator, weights.

Laguna Sea Sports is right there in Laguna Beach a short walk from Shaw’s Cove and Crescent Bay.

I have a spare AL80, extra fins and 20 Pounds of lead to spare. Dive lights are a good idea even on day dives as there are lots of nooks and crannies to look into for octopus and eels and if you are diving under kelp, it can get quite dark. Also if the red tide is in (and it has been) when you come, it can be quite dark under the red tide.
http://www.sandeaters.org also has some good descriptions of local dive sites.

So out of the work meeting by 5:00, at the dive site by 6:00, in the water at 6:30, dive until 8:00 or so (including the surface swim) and back to the hotel before 9:00 p.m. ready for work the next day. Or off work by 5:00, near dive site by 6:00, dinner near the ocean till 7:00 in the water at 7:30 and out by 9:00 and hotel before 10:00 with a nice night (twilight) dive under your belt.

Now, I don't know what kind of physical shape you are in... but to be on the safe side, I should point out that SoCal beach diving does require walking down and up stairs (more than a few I am afraid) and you do not want to be exhausted before you hit the water. There is also often a 100-300 yard surface swim. So I recommend, if you are not already doing so, between now and then, hit the stair master and do some running and hill work, and take the stirs at work when you can, to improve the cardio. You should be comfortable with hitting 40-80 stair steps in full gear after a dive. SoCal does have some awsome diving and we look forward to sharing the wonders of our ocean with you.

Back
Top Bottom