Combining backpacking with diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

a good friend of mine (who is from Africa) offered to me and another friend of us to backpack through Africa next year in the summer. We have about 7 - 8 weeks holidays, and we will depart around 7th of Juli and be back around 7 septembre.
Now i also like to dive while we are travelling through Africa.

My question is: has anyone did this before? Backpacking and diving? The combination of these two?

1--> Where to begin ?
2--> It has to be "cheap" (we are students)
3--> It has to be "safe". (no war area's etc.. i mean). (Shark diving is totally safe though :D
4--> Where to stay?
5--> Can i take my wing with me or do the stores there have only single tanks?
6--> Any other tips.
7--> Anyone who wants to chat with me can contact me also via
MSN messanger: shaza100@hotmail.com

Thanks all, Xerxes

Hello Xerxes,

Sorry can't actually be much help as have never been to Africa, nor have I been backpacking and diving but I 1) wanted to say hello and 2) will be watching this thread with interest as my husband and I have decided to jack in our jobs and dive around the world, so any tips people give you will be handy for us too.

One thing that is of concern to me is luggage. Normal backpacking gear AND a full set of dive equipment :eek: not looking forward to that - how on earth are we going to carry it all, especially as we hope to be doing lots of trekking and biking too!

If you get no other replies I hope you are still able to make your trip to Africa and enjoy all the diving on offer there.

South Africa is well set-up for back-packing. There are loads of backpacker hostels to suit all budgets and mini buses run along the coast. Get a good guide book and work out where you want to dive. When you get there you can pick up a guide to the backpaker hostels.

Taking all your gear wont be a huge pain as the buses will drop you right to your door but it will be an inconvenience (Especially if you want to do other stuff like a safari). I'd just take regs and gauges. There is usually not much of a saving to be made by taking your own gear, just the benefit of knowing/trusting it.

Haven't done any backpacking/diving trips in Africa yet so I can't offer any specific advice. Have you checked the Lonely Planet, Let's Go or other budget travel guides for that continent?

I did a 72-day backpacking/diving trip through SE Asia/Australia-NZ/South Pacific two years ago and loved it. Although I took mask, snorkel and fins I ended up diving almost exclusively with equipmnent from the dive operators. I had no desire to carry all my gear due to weight considerations and potential theft (no problems there though).

If your trip is as enjoyable as mine was, it will provide a lifetime of memories. Good luck.

Dr. Bill

Thanks Dr Bill,

We'll be doing a similar route with the addition of the Caribbean, Central and South America and we will be spending a year travelling - a once in a lifetime opportunity that we'd just kick ourselves if we ignored!

We would like not to have to carry all our equipment but think it may be unavoidable as over the year we intend to do a lot of diving and if we have to hire most of our equipment it could prove quite costly, and such a shame we own all our own gear and are comfortable with it.

I guess that's where good planning come in!

Hi all. I spent eight months four years ago going from Mexico to Bolivia and diving along the way. Yup even Bolivia has some diving in Lake Titicaca at 14,000 feet but didn't manage to dive that. My suggestion is you do NOT want to take all your dive gear with you. I pared my down to mask, snorkel, and computer. The rest I rented and only once did I elect not to dive because of clearly dangerous gear and probably bad air. My trip at this time was 'backback priority' and in this mode one wants to be light, nimble, and not have to worry about lifting sixty pound bags on top of Bluebird school buses. Theft is always a big concern too. I just couldn't imagine hauling my own gear unless of course I was driving from place to place by car, but if on the 'chicken buses' of Central America forget it, you will be shipping your gear home by DHL after the first week.

While I haven't dove in Africa I have been to West Africa and it is the same story over there. Crowded buses, lots of petty crime, and diseases that are worse! Great place though and highly recommend it.

Motto as backpacker should be "Jack be nimble, Jack be quick".

I would sincerely recommend a trip to the East. Firstly, it is cheap. Secondly, there are lots of dive sites, ranging from Thailand, all the way down to Malaysia and Indonesia, if you make it that far.

The people in the tropics are generally friendly, and many do have a good command of English (Malaysians, and Singaporeans do in general, anyway). Malaysia has some of the best dive destinations around the globe.

I am venturing into a new adventure travel business skewed for backpackers and those on a budget. We'll be incorporating scuba activities into our offerings. We're still at a preliminary stage, but we do have some contacts. If anyone is interested, let me know. We can set you up.

Cheers... Backpackers & divers unite!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom