Comal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay... we have been to the Comal River before, and I have asked this question once before, I think. But my search function doesn't work (my puter's problem, not this site), so I'm going to try again.

When we went to the Comal, followed the directions to Landa Park, but don't think we actually got there. We stopped pretty quick, across from a golf course, and we parked beside bathrooms, geared up, and walked down the pathway/stairs. Then we walked as far as we could on the sidewalk (walking against the river flow, not sure if that's upriver or downriver, probably up?), then put in at some very slippery concrete steps. We drifted to the pooled-up area (I think the tube shoots are somewhere close, thankfully I never saw them), played around there, and forced a 20 min. dive into a 45 min. one by tarrying in the non/low current area. So you pretty much make a loop, walk to the put in spot, drift and get out, but would like to do the longer dive that I have read about.

Several of you have said that you can actually drift around 45 mins if you put in at the right place. We don't know where that is, so if someone could give me some definite directions (like stop at this street, etc.) it would be really helpful. We would like to do the full drift dive next time, which might even be next weekend. My husband has a tournament in Austin on the 12th, and some of his friends want to dive the Comal with us, possibly that evening and on Sunday the 13th. Also, where can we get air fills? I guess it might be smarter to just beg and borrow any tanks we might need, since I don't think there's a dive shop in NB? Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me. Parrotheaddiver, you and your husband interested? Archman, any of you central TX peeps?

Foo

You were in the right place to start, head out into the dammed/Pooled area & head off to the right, around the bend you will come to the tube chute....go on thru the tube chute and the ramble over the next little dam....yes thats right I said go thru the tube chute, I always go feet first, its a ride! (hang onto you mask & reg)
I believe the next dam you will come to has a big gaping hole like a tube chute, ride on thru it as well!!
You can get out at the Lincoln street bridge if you dont want to take the rest of the trip downriver.
I attached a link to the Map I made, it has the dams marked on it.
http://users2.ev1.net/~slipstrm/Maps/Comal_River_Directions.pdf

The times that I have been I just walk back up the sidewalk and drift the same spot there at Hinman Island park. I have heard of people putting in at the Knights Of Columbus Hall on Landa Street (accross from the Wursthall Grounds) and floating down to Lincoln, but you have to coordinate with two vehicles. There is a dive shop in New Braunfels called Makai Divers on IH-35 at Seguin Street in a strip center behind the A&W fast food place. 201 S Ih 35, New Braunfels, TX 78130 (830) 609-3483. Here's a couple of Comal reports I posted:
Comal Post 1
Comal Post 2

Is there a way to dive the Comal if I don't want to use two cars? Is there a loop or something close to it so that I could get out, walk a short distance and drop back in?

Hi Donna, welcome back! Yes, you can do the dive that I first posted on this thread by just walking back to the drop in point. Easy, although that walk can make you a bit tired if you aren't used to lugging tanks around a lot. It's worth it though.

Thanks to everyone who gave me info, this is great! I've printed off the map & directions, and appreciate all the help.

Ann, we just realized that NB is PAST San Marcos from Austin (have been there but was thinking it was the other way around.) How about diving in the San Marcos river that weekend? That's your stomping grounds, right? If you're free, it would be great if yall could show us around and go diving with us. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Foo

I'll be a-cruisin' the river this weekend from landa park. Alot of the times we camp at landa i can just cut across the RR tracks to make a short cut back to the campsite. We dive from landa to the stairs about 100 meters from the tube chute. In the summer we can go SCUBA Crawfishin' in the landa portion of the river since there is a near currentless area there. After an hour or two of plucking the little buggers from the bottom at night it's boilin time!

Foo:
Ann, we just realized that NB is PAST San Marcos from Austin (have been there but was thinking it was the other way around.) How about diving in the San Marcos river that weekend? That's your stomping grounds, right? If you're free, it would be great if yall could show us around and go diving with us. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Foo

Sounds great. I am not sure what is going on that weekend but I will let you know. The San Marcos river is not a great river to dive very shallow. The Comel is better. FYI.
Ann

Eeeks, okay Ann thanks for the heads up. They would probably rather drive a little more for better diving (we're already 6 hours from home, what's another half hour?), I know that I would. The Comal is very shallow too, 15 ft max where we've been, but it's still a fun little dive, wet, and not too cold for March. Well, let us know when you decide, that's next weekend! ;o)

Foo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom