Comal River w/Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pics!!!! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea they had such a strange looking fish in the Comal. Kind of looks like a Splendid Toadfish.

archman:
They're loricariid catfishes from South America. Classified as an exotic, but not an invasive. If they were invasives, I'd be foaming at the mouth and demanding a statewide killing spree, like the Atlantic lionfishes I love so much... not.

Catfish!!! Does your knowledge about this species include any idea how they might taste after a trip thru the deep fryer? In the faster moving sections of the San Marcos, the exotic appears to be the most common species by at least an order of magnitude. And they are growing quite large. The fingerlings that I saw in large quantities 3 years ago are now large groups (20 to 30) of fish in the 10 to 14 inch range. Fair numbers in the 18 to 24 inch range also. With a little stealth, they are not at all difficult to catch by hand.

It may just be a natural cycle, but I am definately see far less rainbow darters (seem to favor the same habitat) than I saw in previous years. Even though we are talking fish with different diets, I'm not sure that plethora of Pleco's is not having a detrimental effect.

awap:
Catfish!!! Does your knowledge about this species include any idea how they might taste after a trip thru the deep fryer?
I have never heard reference to eating one of these things. They probably taste like butt (being herbivores, and most herbivorous fish taste like butt), and being loricariids (armored catfishes), skinning them would be a royal pain. But since they're unregulated in Texas (not being native), anyone is free to catch one of these suckers and try their hand at eating them. I would very much like a detailed report if that happens.

I can't believe you see rainbow darters, or any darters for that matter. You have an exceptionally keen eye. I would love to see photos, if you have a camera handy.

Someone should catch a pleco and donate it to Aquarena. They have a nice big tank that's used for education, and "safe" to stick exotics in for the public to see. I've been hoping someone finds an albino catfish to replace the one that died last year. Right now the tank is half empty... I'm itching for them to put a "local" tilapia in too.

archman:
I can't believe you see rainbow darters, or any darters for that matter. You have an exceptionally keen eye. I would love to see photos, if you have a camera handy.

Used to be that in the swift but managable waters it was normal to see 10 to 20 of them (some to 4+ inches) in a dive if you were looking for them. Now its 1 or 2. I'm not into photography, but if you would ever like to take some picturess, I'm sure I could put you on some subjects. I have not tried it this year, but in past years they were fairly numerous at the base of the dam just above Chambers St. It looks intimidating but the eddies formed by the main outlet are managable.

I remember eating carp from clear water. They wern't bad. I think I'm going to have to give a Pleco a try.

awap:
Used to be that in the swift but managable waters it was normal to see 10 to 20 of them (some to 4+ inches) in a dive if you were looking for them. Now its 1 or 2. I'm not into photography, but if you would ever like to take some picturess, I'm sure I could put you on some subjects. I have not tried it this year, but in past years they were fairly numerous at the base of the dam just above Chambers St. It looks intimidating but the eddies formed by the main outlet are managable.

I remember eating carp from clear water. They wern't bad. I think I'm going to have to give a Pleco a try.

Did you mean to say "Cheatam" street that crosses the river at the Rio Vista Park Dam?

parrotheaddiver:
Did you mean to say "Cheatam" street that crosses the river at the Rio Vista Park Dam?

Yes, I knew it was a Ch...something. Park on the south side and restraurant on the north. The place where the tubers exit.

So this is an alright place to dive then? We have wondered about it for awhile now.
Both the San Marcos and Comal rivers are fun places to dive, the current moves you along nicely and makes for an effortless dive (unless you’re trying to stop and snap pictures.) They are not very deep but the visibility is usually very good and the water temperature stays above 70° year round. The San Marcos River does have wild rice growing from the river bottom while the Comal just has a light covering of silt on the limestone bottom.

I doubt there's much meat on a Pleco. Ever touch one? They are covered in boney plates, head to tail. The only soft spot is their belly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom