Comal River, New Braunfels, 12-31-2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok Here's the Dive report from the Comal (Hinman Island Park) from Friday 12-31-04. My dive buddy had to cancel so I didn't get out there till about 3:00 pm. The weather was warm and partly sunny/cloudy outside temp was around 78-80. Geared up in the parking lot of the park next to a couple of lovely blond Divers :eyebrow: who were already heading to the river, and also saw a few other guys already in the water. My lovely brunette girlfriend :07: showed up and shuttled me further upstream than you can get in the park, by driving me around to this RV park that is across the river (gives about 40 more yards of river and I didn't have to walk that far with all the gear on.) Dropped into about 5 feet of water and started the dive, I had added about 6 extra pounds of weight for the current and it worked great. This was almost like drift diving in Cozumel, just not as deep. The dive was effortless and the current wasn't too strong to overcome if you grabbed a rock and dumpped BC air you could hold yourself in one place. The visibility was 8-10 feet and the riverbed is mostly rock with a little covering of silt. There are quite a few piles of railroad spikes and other iron nuts and bolts from the railroad trestle that have been scattered around the riverbed. :icosm12: About halfway down the float there is a rather large tree in the middle of the river that presents itself roots first so if you make this dive pay attention. There were a couple of fishermen out that day but I had no problems with their lines. :profile: Marine life consisted mostly of Spotted Sunfish that hover around and tend to shadow you during the dive. I did see a couple of Rio Grande Perch, a couple of large Carp, and a Smallmouth Bass. The depth was mostly around 6 feet but the river does start getting deeper past the last set of stairs to Hinmann Island park (around 11 feet at the stairs) closer to the Dam and Tube Chute, at this deeper part the current does ease up, so swimming back to the stairs isn't too much of a chore. The water temp was 75 degrees and I wore a two peice 3mm wetsuit and was very comfortable. Dive #1 was 27 minutes with a max depth of 11 feet. Dive #2 was 13 minutes with a max depth of 8 feet. Exiting the last set of stairs and walking back to the first set of stairs wasn't too hard fully geared, and you could get possibly 4 dives out of one tank. My new digital camera and housing should be here next week so next time I'll add pictures! Easiest way to get there IH-35 to New Braunfels, Exit 187 Seguin Ave, go west on Seguin Ave to the Square of town, take the first right off the traffic circle going around the Square onto San Antonio Street. Cross the river and take the first left onto Liberty Ave. Take the first left that Y's off (past the entrance to Prince Solms Park) onto Hinman Island Dr. There is parking on the left side of the road and ramps and stairs down to the river. Happy New Year and Happy Diving!!

The November floods did a real number on Landa Park's shoreline. Sediment, debris, and even a few trees were washed into the river. I think some picnic tables floated off too. Next time I get down there, I'll have to toot around and see what's been altered underwater. There used to be more than just one big sunken tree that presented diver hazards... I grab onto them and look underneath for big fish, and they're good spots for groups to rendevzous.

Sounds like your vis (8-10 feet) is running on the low end still, probably from inputs from the "dry Comal". The water temp's puzzling too; this time of year it's supposed to be cooling off, not warming up.

You didn't spot any catfish or pleco's did you? Seems everyones' seen a pleco in the Comal except me. Dang.

Very nice trip report!

I need and want to do this river dive in the near future!!!!

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Actually what I thought were carp were Plecos (after searching and seeing a picture) There was one dark grey one and a lighter green one, pretty large probably about 12-15 inches in length and 6 inches across head.

Argh, TWO pleco's?! You stink. I don't know what I'm doing to not see these things. Where exactly were you where you saw them, and what micro-habitat(s) were they sitting in?

The dark grey one was before the big tree in some silt, he didn't move the two times I went by but I only saw the green one once near the last set of stairs, and he swam off when I hovered over him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom