Comal Apr 21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabum2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Some friends & I are doing a little mini cleanup on the Comal this weekend - nothing major, just a few areas that were overlooked last year in the October cleanup. If you want an excuse to get wet, show up at 930AM sharp on Saturday at the Last Exit. We'll do a couple of dives and that afternoon may do a fun dive at Landa followed by a little cookout that evening at Camp Huaco Springs.

Thanks to all who came for the cleanup! Over the 4 hours, we had 14 divers who found about 30 bags of cans, etc around the Last Exit area of the Comal. Before the cleanup, I did an early AM solo drift dive from the Lincoln St bridge to the Last Exit area which was very nice and took about 45 minutes - I would highly recommend it. The two areas are close to each other - easy to manage with 2 vehicles.

The vis was a little rougher than usual, 5 - 10 feet, but the water was its usual 70 degrees. Was cloudy & overcast, which wasn't a problem for us but was a bit chilly for all those bikini-clad coeds who had to satisfy their toobing fix. For the first time, I saw 3 crayfish under various cover that had claws the size of good-sized crabs. Wow!

We stayed at Camp Huaco Springs, which is at the first crossing of the Guadalupe, and had campsites on the water. Would love to find a campsite around that is off the beaten path for the toober crowd, but then again, it is New Braunfels.

The Comal really could stand a second cleanup during the year - we had to leave so much junk underwater. The October cleanup is a great thing, but how about an organized spring cleanup, before tourist season (May 1) by SB'ers next year? Anyone game?

Never been to Comal but want to dive there. Where is all the trash coming from? Why don't they stop it? Why are they letting people bring whatever ends up in the river in? Is it not controlled - no checkpoints?

Beautiful Comal flows through a city park. Very popular spot with locals and tourists during spring break and summer who frequently get good and liquored up. Nuff said.

rkr3000:
Never been to Comal but want to dive there. Where is all the trash coming from? Why don't they stop it? Why are they letting people bring whatever ends up in the river in? Is it not controlled - no checkpoints?

The Comal is one mile long and flows into the Guadalupe. To say that is gets heavy toober traffic is an understatement. The whole area is set up for toobers to have easy access to enter & exit, go down a chute, etc and go back and do it again. The Schlitterbahn is right there too.

The Comal and the Guadalupe are the lifeblood of the New Braunfels tourism economy. Most people want to toob in the cool water when its really hot outside and have their liquid refreshments. Some people intentionally throw cans, bottles, etc in there but a lot of the stuff is unintentional (falls out along the way unknowingly). Its just a fact of life with that many people floating the river that you'll have UW trash and it gives us the opportunity to participate in cleanups and find goodies along the way (money, jewelry, etc).

On the positive side, I saw two metal boats for trash on the Comal just like they have on the Guadalupe - I haven't seen that before. So they are making an effort to give toobers a place to dump their trash along the way.

For the non locals, the City of New Braunfels has new laws in affect on how many "drinks" and what type can now be taken on the river. There has been some talk of fighting some of these new laws.

I'm one who has always enjoyed drinking a beer while tube, but have always taken care of my trash the right way. The intent of these laws were to prevent people from littering in the river, but at the cost of losing that right. I agreed something needed to be done, just not that way.

scubabum2:
I saw two metal boats for trash on the Comal

Those have been there for years. Just a word of warning, never grab on to the boat to dump trash. "A friend of mine" grabbed on to one once to empty a cooler full of empties, and every toober around (15+) decided to try to make a 3 pointer with their empties and ended up nailing me... I mean, my friend. :D

rkr3000:

THE reason for all the trash is the toobers, but New Braunfels just passed a few ordinances limiting the cooler size (and subsequent number of beverages allowed, you can't fit a suitcase (a 24 pack of 'Stones) in a cooler for a six pack) and toob size for the "tourists." There are a number of checkpoints along the river where the NBPD will check IDs for minors, cooler contents contraband & glass, and intoxicated toobers.

Thanks for all the info. I love to tube but am responsible for my stuff as I'm sure most of you are as well. I can see the fun in cleaning up and finding "treasures" here and there. Too bad those unresponsible have to be taken care of by those of us who are responsible. Maybe one day they'll join scuba and see the damage they cause and sites we have to see. Hope to join your cleanup soon!

C&J Divers out of Kileen are doing another Comal Clean-up this weekend. I'm flying in to take part. If anybody wants to join in, give them a call for locations and details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom