Coltri MCH6 condensate drain procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just bought a new MCH6 and the manual says to drain the condensate open valves A and B in order, but it could be clearer. Is the process

1/ Open drain A
2/ Close drain A
3/ Open drain B
4/ Close drain B

or

1/ Open drain A
2/ Open drain B
3/ Close drain A
4/ Close drain B

thanks for any advice, Martin

Hey Martin,
Welcome to Scubaboard. I used to use a buddies Coltri. My method was to just crack open each one for a few seconds - until liquid quits coming out and then close it before checking the other one. I think you will quickly find that the other one - my memory is it was the filter housing - rarely had any liquid in it. I quit emptying it as often after a while. I saw no need to leave the valve open so long that the pressure went way down in the coalescer or filter housings which might be the case if you opened them both first.

Regarding your other post, I’ve yet to see a left hand thread fitting on a compressor or in any catalogs. My Bauer only has right hand threads.

This is only my experience, which is limited. Others with more knowledge maybe will speak up as well. Or you may just get some rube :lotsalove: sidetracking the thread with random babble.

Thanks for the info George, that's how I have been doing it but not sure if it really matters too much as long as all the condensate comes out. And good tip on the thread, didn't occur that it could be right handed, will check when i get near it...

It doesn't matter. Just open the drain (either one) briefly. Each one should take 1 to 2 seconds to blow out the condensate and be more or less just blowing air. It's so fast that your fingers don't really need to come off the knob. Do not leave them open much longer than this, it will radically impact your fill rates on this tiny of a compressor.

hey @phgachoud, even if there’s never any moisture/condensation that needs draining, you still have to have a way to bleed off pressure before you can open the filter chamber. That’s my uneducated guess about the purpose of the second bleeder.

@Curious_George thx for your uneducated guess! And I agree with you on that, but am looking for the sense of having to drain it every 10-15 minutes as well as the other one. In the manual they mention the drainage not in plural, but singular... see above.
I still do both, but for no other reason yet as because they all do so and because I'm not sure I can avoid it...
More than lazyness of opening a second purge, am curious about that :D
1685279812237.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom