Coltri MCH-6 Fan Struggling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pizzajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have what I think is a knockoff Coltri MCH-6 compressor(run by a Honda GX140 motor) and have been using it for about the last year with minimal problems, but today it started to sound like it was struggling and I noticed the fan on the compressor was not spinning much. I shut it off and checked the oil on the compressor. It was low so I added some and tried again. The fan spins a little, but the compressor as a whole seems to be struggling. The Honda engine is working fine, but it looks like the belt that drives the compressor is slipping on the compressor end (moving at regular speed at the motor, but not able to at the compressor), or at least struggling to move. I can move the fan with my hand no problem. I'm wondering if I let it get too low on oil and it ruined something on the interior? I'm not really sure where to start looking, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you so much!
PXL_20220530_002405486.MP.jpg

PXL_20220530_002415921.jpg

Hey, sorry to hear about your troubles. If you’ve damaged something internally, there will be metal in the oil when you drain it.

Before we get to diagnosing, recommend you add an extension tube to the air intake. That looks super dangerous being so close to the engine exhaust. Have you ever checked your air for carbon monoxide? I’ve seen much better air intake systems than that getting dangerous levels of CO.

If the fan is turning freely by hand, but not with the engine, you likely have a lose drive belt or a lose pulley. Make sure they are tight and try again. Looks like there’s oil on everything. Your belt could be tight but slipping due to oil contamination.

good luck.

I would start with checking the belt for wear and tension and as @Curious_George said clean up the pulleys a bit. If belt is slipping replace.

Also agree with him re air intake.

If you run it. The pulley that's slipping will get very hot, just feel it...
Sounds like the belt is slipping,
Either loose. Or something is going into HP.
Let the pressure off, if it runs fine, start increasing the pressure

Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback!

I looked at the belt and it was slipping. The screws that hold the engine down became loose and it slid about half an inch. I readjusted to the correct belt tension and all is well! So happy it was a minor fix.

I live in an area with some pretty consistently high tradewinds and I point the fan into the tradewinds and the air has always smelled/tasted fine. I have not tested for carbon monoxide. I will look into getting an extension tube to make sure we are extra safe about it.

I'm learning and I appreciate all the help here and all the other forums! Thank you so much!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom