Colorado Diver in New Jersey - Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octotat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A lowly warm water diver from Colorado had the chance to dive some cold water wrecks off Pt. Pleasant on Saturday. My plea on this site for a dive charter paid off when I was contacted by Wreckdiver2 about a charter his club, the Explorers Dive Club was doing. He invited me along, and a few weeks later I was boarding the Dina Dee II with Captain Tom, Brian (Wreckdiver2), Duane and other members of the club. These guys set me up with tanks, weight, gloves and computer. I was really impressed with how friendly these guys were, and I had an absolute blast. The weather was supposed to be showers and wind, but instead we had slight overcast and flat seas. The first dive on the Pinta, was a suprise to me as the visibility was much more than I expected. I dove in a 7 mm wetsuit with the only other wetsuit diver, Joe, and at the end of the bottom time I was pretty damned frozen. Joe pulled out 3 lobsters, 1 had eggs and the other two were too small so all got released. Surface temp was about 53 degrees, bottom was around 46 degrees. I learned two things, my suit was a little thin for that temp, and you lose lots of dexterity with those big mits on! Glad I didn't need to get to my shears! After a nice barbeque lunch of sausages, hot dogs and hamburgs we motored over to a wooden barge that was in suprisingly good shape. It was full of square stones (brick or ballast) and it silted up pretty good. Was quite cold at end of dive but really stoked about the wreck. I sure hope I get a chance to dive it again. As nice as the wrecks and dives were, they paled in comparison to how nice the folks from the Explorers dive clube were. I can't wait till my job takes me back to do more diving. Thanks again to Brian, Duane, Joe and Capt. Tom. Hope to dive with you guys again, and soon.

Ted,

It was a pleasure having you aboard with us on Saturday. Like I said, that was a below average day as far as visibility.

Sunday we had 30' of vis and even saw a huge loggerhead turtle just hanging out on the surface. We had 49 on the bottom and 65 on the surface.

Let us know when you are back in town, we'll set you up with some better visibility!

wrekdiver2:
Ted,

It was a pleasure having you aboard with us on Saturday. Like I said, that was a below average day as far as visibility.

Sunday we had 30' of vis and even saw a huge loggerhead turtle just hanging out on the surface. We had 49 on the bottom and 65 on the surface.

Let us know when you are back in town, we'll set you up with some better visibility!

I'll trade a few feet of visibility for a few degrees of temperature. I think next time I might wear my 3 mm shorty under that 7mm suit. Of course I'm going to need to strap an engine block to my weigth belt. Maybe I should go on ebay and look for drysuit. Just need to convince my wife that we need one more than a new couch. :crafty:

Brian, what say your instincts about the seas tomorrow?

SueMermaid:
Brian, what say your instincts about the seas tomorrow?

Hmmm...if you ask NOAA?

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS51.KOKX.html

WED
SW WIND AROUND 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.

WED NIGHT
SW WIND 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS BUILDING TO 3 TO 4 FT.

if you ask me? I'd say that forecast is more for 20 miles out. I think it may be a little bumpy, but not 3-4', especially where we usually go (the reef)...my predictions are 2'.

Regardless, I won't be able to make it this week...seems that I forgot that I am leaving for NC early Thursday morning to go diving (sucks to be me, right?)

Have fun if you make it out! I will try to be on the boat next Wednesday

wrekdiver2:
Sunday we had 30' of vis and even saw a huge loggerhead turtle just hanging out on the surface. QUOTE]

Correction: LEATHERBACK TURTLE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom