Colona Vs. Mermaid II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cando

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've read many posts and websites on these two boats and I still cant decide which one to book.

Has anyone been on both of them and prefered one or the other? They are both in the same price range, same schedules, similar accomodation and the only difference i see is that Mermaid II is a bit bigger.

Anyone think I should book one over the other this april?

Thanks to everyone, this msg board is unbelievable!

can recommend Colona - fantastic time!

Saw Mermaid and by the look of it not a lot in it - the guides on Colona said they were probably the 4th best boat out of Phuket behind Ocean Rover, Viking and Mermaid - the first two are in a different class completely!!

I suspect they only bow to Mermaid on boat spec - on Colona the staff were excellent and knew where to take you.

I am sure you can't go wrong on either.

Jonathan

The guides on Mermaid II said the same thing -- that they are the best of the boats not in the luxury class. And I found them to be very knowledgable, and customer service oriented. The trip leader, Phillip has had spies try to snap photos of his personal reef charts, they are so good. Not sure what Jonathan means by, "by the look of it not a lot in it." It is well appointed, comfortable, and the only thing I thought it lacked was an espresso machine!

I do know someone who has been on both boats. He did the the Northern islands on Mermaid II, and had to switch to the Colona for the Southern Islands because the Mermaid II was fully booked. He later told me that the boats were both very good, but that he prabably preferred the Mermaid II. I'll see if I can get him to post.

The other thing that can make or break your trip are other passengers. Maybe you could inquire as to the ages/nationlities, etc of the other divers. You never know, one of the boats might have the Swedish bikini team booked, and then your decision would be easy ;-)

Billfish

"by the look of it not a lot in it" - means from the outside to my eye they looked pretty much the same. Similar size and state of repair. I was trying to qualify as I had not been on it.

Maybe sunrise will chip in later as he's in the business down there. I am sure you would not be disappointed on either boat but April is peak whale shark possibility season so I wouldn't hang around too long making your decision.

Jonathan

OK, I'll chip in.

The answer is....both of them.

Mermaid is bigger, though takes more customers (16 compared to 14). Mermaid has 2 indoors air conditioned areas, whereas Colona has only outdoor areas. Cabins on Colona have private bathrooms, Mermaid has "semi private" (shared between 2 cabins). Colona has Mark (big plus point, he's the nicest bloke in Phuket), but only 2 Instructors for 14 guests. If you want to dive in a small group, better with Mermaid. Both boats are very good, and you won't get me off that fence.

Interesting to hear that the guides on Colona think so highly of Viking. Yes, it's very nice and very big, but I'd give it a while to prove itself. Takes up to 24 divers which may be a bit much if you're paying over a thousand bucks for a trip. Sure Ocean Rover is the top dog, and well worth the money if you're rich enough! Mermaid 1 is also a bit nicer than average.

Sun is shining, weather is sweet.

Not sure what you mean by:

Mermaid has 2 indoors air conditioned areas, whereas Colona has only outdoor areas

I think what you mean is that Colona does not have a air con lounge area - true. But it does have air con in the cabins.

On the boats they were just talking about standard of boat - more powerful engines, more space, more up-to-date decor etc. They weren't referring to staff, diving locations etc.

If you go on the Colona and there are no kids about you'll be in for an English humour treat I'm told (there were kids on my trip and I missed the series back home)! They will no doubt play you "League of Gentlemen", which will be a must as then you can understand what the hell Mark and Raul are talking about sometimes!!

Enjoy wherever you go and as I said in the PM don't forget the trip report.

Cheers
Jonathan

well seems like both boats are equally great so it all comes down to itinerary.

The colona does 1 1/2 days at similans and 2 full days at koh bon, koh tachi and richelieu rock. Whereas the mermaid does 3 1/2 days at similans and only one day at ko bon, ko tachai and richelieu rock.

I was wondering if any of you prefered either dive sites, or maybe wished you spent more time at the similans instead of bon, tachai and richelieu?? Theyre probably all amazing but was there a preference? I know sharks and mantas are more common at richelieu are they not?

Thanks again

Mermaid will only do one dive at those then because it is quite a long haul.

Koh Bon is not that interesting a dive site - but we did two dives there, we could have moved on but elected to stay. Why? Mantas!

Koh Tachi is the overnight stop between Koh Bon and Richilieu well it was for us - interesting dive that's where the black lion fish is on my photos. Not for the jelly fish squeamish though - well not that day.

Richilieu was fantastic - loads and loads of fish, octopus, cuttle fish etc. Also I believe a hang out for mantas and whale sharks but we did not see any. We did two dives there - a lot to cover in 1 dive.

Jonathan

The itineraries on liveaboards tend to be flexible, changing with conditions, guests abilities, the presence of other dive boats, etc. We ended up doing multiple dives at Richelieu because of recent whale shark reports, and the lack of other dive boats. We even did an unscheduled night dive at Richelieu(which was amazing, by the way). Our itinerary was adjusted twice during the trip, once by a show of hands, and once by the trip leader. The important thing is that it was changed for the right reasons, and not for the convenience of the dive staff.

Cheers,

billfish

PS - My two favorite dive sites were Richelieu, and East of Eden(one of the Similans)

Don't read to much into advertised inineraries for the trips. All liveaboards in this area are very flexible. Sometimes you get more diving in Similan, other times more at Koh Bon/Tachai/Richelieu. It depends on big fish sightings, weather, customer request. What you read on web sites is just there as a guide.

As for sharks, there are a lot more sharks around this year in Similan as well as other sites. Koh Bon Pinnacle keeps coming up with sightings like bowmouth guitarshark and silvertips (seen by tour leader of another boat this week). Mantas are all over the place - Koh Bon and Similan, and I used to see them often at Koh Tachai.

Jonathan, what I mean is the Mermaid has an indoor air con salon and indoor air con dining area. Both boats have air con cabins. Both have very good tour leaders and crew. Both have Nitrox. Both dive the same places.

I suggest you toss a coin.

Mermaid 2
Colona 6

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom