Colleges and majors help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rosentiel School of Marine Sciences at the University of Miami is one of the best also. The best way to get a job is to get a ph.d or masters and work your *** off to the position you want to be in. It might be a better idea to get a bachelors degree in Biology then go back to school for marine biology.

ScubaTexan:
It's the same answer, tek....Texas A&M. They have the nation's No. 1 engineering school, in most all disciplines.

I'm sure A&M is tops in the Marine Science areas but thats a pretty bold statement Ken .... that is when you say " No. 1 eng. school in most all disciplines."

MIT .. Cal Berkley ... Stanford ... U of M ... Purdue .... shall i go on? :wink:

TCDiver1:
I'm sure A&M is tops in the Marine Science areas but thats a pretty bold statement Ken .... that is when you say " No. 1 eng. school in most all disciplines."

MIT .. Cal Berkley ... Stanford ... U of M ... Purdue .... shall i go on? :wink:

OK,OK....among the top Engineering schools in the nation. Satisfied? :D

BTW: You left out Georgia Tech. :)

For Petroleum Engineering, they're #1 for the whole bloody planet. The other engineering programs vary quite a bit, but pretty much all of them fall within the Top 10-20 within the U.S.. Chemical Engineering just got a shot in the arm this year, with completion of their new building. Asia and India flood Texas A&M with their engineering students, which we train and send back to their home countries.

The Marine Engineering and Marine Systems Engineering programs are based out of Galveston. Ocean Engineering is based out the Evans Campus, where they have that giant wave tank with the 50 foot pit. I've dove nitrox in that thing!

I'll chime in with Warthaug about the need for an advanced degree to work in most science fields. (Found that out after getting my BS in biology from Davidsion. Couldn't get a decent job without more school. Ended up doing another BS in Pharmacy, then a grad degree and have never looked back.)

In addition to info about their programs, you might want to ask some pretty direct questions about job placement from the different universities. Ask them how many of last year's grads from those programs got jobs after graduation, and ask if they can put you in touch with a couple. You can get lots of behind-the-scenes info that way.

Good luck,
Grier

For engineering, MS would be where I would recommend stopping. You can get entry-level work with a BSME, but that's exactly what it is. Many folks call the BSME a "license to be dangerous."

That said, a MSME can be obtained at a different school than where you did your bachelor's, and can be done a few years after your BS.

Most employers look at your last school, so you could presumably go to A&M for a BS, then, head to MIT for a MS. MIT does have an ocean engineering dept, and the affiliation with Woods Hole oceanographic institute.

I'm currently doing research/engineering for the gov't. I used to teach at a University. Prior to that, I was in the private sector. I also spent a few years in the private sector between my BS & my grad. degrees (I recommend that if you enjoy engineering; the private sector perspective is great!). At the more 'marquee' schools (Ga Tech, Clemson, etc.), there is a good internship program where you can apply for summer jobs with major industrial companies and/or coop programs (1 semester in the private sector) for engineering majors. Clemson, for example, has a tie into BMW (no, you won't get a discount for buying a BMW, but their Mech Eng program is tied to BMW's SC manufacturing plant). (Although an ACT at 30 is at the low end for MIT; the median is probably closer to 32-33 there).

I know the program at U FL (Gainesville; I don't know if that's UF or FS; please don't shoot me :wink: ). It's quite good, though like many, you get out of it what you put into it. UNC Charlotte is another of these good, but not well-known programs. Don't forget Va Tech & UT (Texas and Tennessee). I know there are many A&M fans out there, but UT (Texas at Austin) isn't chopped liver for Mech Eng.

The other fairly large issue is the support system and bureaucracy. Smaller schools and private schools (as opposed to state schools) are likely to have less bureaucracy, and a bit more nurturing.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom