Collecting during dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And beyond the environmental issues, to me not taking specimens is simple courtesy to the guy on the next dive. If you think that shell is really cool looking, don't you suspect the next person to see it will also?

This thought is what has prevented me from picking up some really cool shells. Other than to look at them and then put them back down. But as mentioned by another poster, I remain uncertain that taking a shell has anywhere near the impact that taking fish does. Especially since I am talking about an individual taking a couple shells for their own collection, not the hundreds or thousands that are scooped up by the commercial shops. Same difference between a guy surf casting his reel and the commercial fishing boats.

Let me clarify, too. I pick up garbage, unless something has moved in, or unless it has coral growing on it. Yes, I would pick up a gold bar if I found it (not that it's going to happen) and I suspect virtually all would. Hell, one bar would pay for the next few dive trips... No, I am not going to take anything from a wreck. A shell could be considered a renewable resource. A piece of a wreck is not.

Another interesting thing is I've rarely encountered charters/divers who care about taking shells in Northern waters--Maybe they aren't as pretty? I have managed to find one country and dive op (PADI yet) in the Southern Caribbean where it is permitted, and will be heading there this winter. It is, of course, off the beaten diver tourist route.

I think it depends who you dive with and where they go. If you go to the keys then the operator may take you to a no-take zone or enforce some ad hoc code of conduct put together by the dive operators in the area. I am sure if you dive in some of the off-the beaten track areas say Daytona Beach, the operator could probably care less as long as the activity was legal. Just check with the operation and double-check with the Captain so he can ready the bait well.

ams511, Yes, you're probably right-I was talking more about the Caribbean than Florida. 2 of the 4 ops on the panhandle that I know of do allow collecting, though one of those 2 frowns on it. My contacting of some ops on the S. Fla. Gulf side have been negative, though I found one guy online in Key West that would take me out of the marine restricted area, but I'd need more divers as it would be $600. Maybe I'll take your advice and look into the Atlantic side. But the Carib....forget it.

Scuba diving has a pretty large footpring when you start looking at how much we travel to do our thing.

Please explain to me the difference between someone traveling to the keys to dive or traveling to Orlando to visit Disney World? If we travel anywhere does it not have an environmental footprint?

Another for just leave it, with the exception of garbage. IMHO no good argument can be made for taking anything from a divesite. As others have said even if the only reason that a fellow diver might have enjoyed seeing what you had a chance to see. For me this applies equally to wrecks and sea shells.

Grab all the lost fishing gear you can. Even if you don't need it the Cpt will usually take it off your hands. Just about every trip I make I bring back some sort of small collection of weights and line and such.

Grab all the lost fishing gear you can. Even if you don't need it the Cpt will usually take it off your hands. Just about every trip I make I bring back some sort of small collection of weights and line and such.

Yea I give away squid jigs I find to little kids fishing. My buddy turns sinkers into weights as well. He's collected about 230kg so far.

ams511, Yes, you're probably right-I was talking more about the Caribbean than Florida. 2 of the 4 ops on the panhandle that I know of do allow collecting, though one of those 2 frowns on it. My contacting of some ops on the S. Fla. Gulf side have been negative, though I found one guy online in Key West that would take me out of the marine restricted area, but I'd need more divers as it would be $600. Maybe I'll take your advice and look into the Atlantic side. But the Carib....forget it.

I maybe wrong but I don't think there are many restricticted areas on the Atlantic side north of Miami and usually those are either state or local parks. I am not sure about the Gulf side. I only dove the Gulf side a few times and vis was terrible. If there are only a few sites available for a dive boat to go to then it makes sense for them to restrict collection as much as they can. I am not sure why people complain about shell collectors, I see nothing wrong with it as long as your not collecting endangered species and doing it legally.

I take all my empty beer vessels on the boat and throw them over board to create new suburbs for the critters that after returning from shopping have found themselves homeless due to the supposed junk collectors.

I take all my empty beer vessels on the boat and throw them over board to create new suburbs for the critters that after returning from shopping have found themselves homeless due to the supposed junk collectors.

Nah it doesn't. Everyone leaves the beer vessels. Here are some pictures, I thought you might like to see the results of your handiwork:

3243045275_71a12df228.jpg

3243871874_9d6fe9bc16.jpg

4492902478_a1d02eb81c.jpg

4240169833_73b6ccf8ef.jpg

Also someone in Williamstown has been providing condoms to urchins, which I think is a good idea as their populations are out of control!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom