Collecting antique bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats great about Florida is it is against the LAW to collect in navigable waters. Thanks to Judy Bense and her possee for banning the Isolated Finds Program (IFP). Without this law being overturned we as citizens can not touch, document, or photograph any "relic" over 50 years of age. If your 3 year old son picks up a fragment of a Colonial plate, absolutely worthless Zero monetary value, he can be cited, and you will spend your money to say this is totally BS... and of course you lose pay the fine and he gets a misdermeanor!

Bring back the IFP. We need to rescue artifacts. There are a lot of us who collect and commercial sales doesnt rule our diving pleasures! We display and share our finds with the public. Archaeologist collect, store in a box, place in a basement and wait for some greedy student to steal it for his financial gain..... PROVEN FACT OVER AND OVER!

STEVE HOLLOWAY
MILTON FLORIDA

Please post your bottle findings at at old-beer-bottles
Its free to list the bottles, this way I can see them and compare them side by side with other findings. Thanks.

I just discovered that the shallows ringing my island are filled with antique bottles. I was never interested in old bottles, but I have recently started collecting. The internet makes it pretty easy to identify a lot of them. So far I have found old ceramic ginger beer bottles (3) from around 1900, old patent medicine bottles (most date from the 1880s to the 1920s), an antique perfume bottle from 1885, a ton of old wine/beer bottles from the 1920s, a blue glass Milk of magnesia bottle from 1955, and a bunch of others. This has been a blast collecting them. This newfound hobby is becoming addictive.

Typical bottles from SW Michigan Inland Lakes. PABST Bottle  (2).jpg

Paris Bottle.jpg

Hutchy's - Typical Find in lakes in Michigan .JPG

Large Mouth Crock (3).jpg

I live outside of rochester ny. The local dive shop(pisces dive shop(under activitys on left side)) lists on their websight in canandaigua lake a place called whiskey point named so for whiskey bottles that washed up after a prohabition era boat crashed. I dont know if there is still bottles there. I got into diving last year but I dont have a partner/buddy to do it with.

Well, today we kicked of the new bottle diving season. Weather was cold and windy but the water is still fairly warm.
Funny find, a bottle embossed with "LOCKYERS SULPHUR HAIR RESTORER" and for a guy who is folliclely challanged it was the perfect find. Also an Evangeline soda circa 1950, a turn of the century tothpast jar, spoon silver plated, and soom clay pipes.
I was the only one to get in due to weather so no other finds to report.
ZDD

Attachments

• IMG00221.jpg
    IMG00221.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 636
If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will post one of the WWII Coke Bottle I found off a S. Pacific Island that saw a lot of action.

If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will post one of the WWII Coke Bottle I found off a S. Pacific Island that saw a lot of action.

Go to the ribbon at the very top of the page just right of center and click on photo gallery. You can upload pictures there. When you upload each picture, it will give you a url. Copy that URL and come back to this thread.

When you get back to this thread click on the insert image icon in the reply box. it looks like a little tiny mountain with a postage stamp in the corner. Clear out any text in the box that pops up, and then paste the url.

You can create different photo albums so you could post all finds from Lake Erie in one album and the Detroit River in another or have one for finds and one for wild life etc.

Detroit Mudpuppy, where do you go diving? I grew up in the Metro Detroit area. Can I steal your picture of your bottle collection? It would make a nice background for my laptop. I am fascinated with that one with the sculptured scalloped top. Do you know anything about that one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom