Collapsed Lung Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pufferfish once bubbled...
Now tell me have you ever seen, heard of, or done a needle thoracostomy on a diver with a tension pneumo? Since they would not be breathing in most cases after ascending and unconscious with no pulse, the decreased ventilation would be missed assuming you had a stethoscope with you to check. That tracheal deviation sign is not always there.
Pufferfish
A difficult one,

We had a disussion of the BSAC forum about a year ago and the general consensus of opinion was that bog-standard open water divers should never attack an apparently dead diver with such things as a needle or a rusty diver's knife, even if they thought a tension pneumo was a certaintly.

If a diver has a tension pneumothorax he is likely to be very ill indeed as he is also likely to have a large cerebral artery gas embolus because the high pressure gas within the thorax has only one way out - via the pulmonary veins accessible through the tear in lung tissue.

I would forget about looking for tracheal dviation, a difficult sign to detect even by experienced chest physicians. and a stethoscope - well? I think the diagnosis will be obvious from the history of rapid ascent and signs of bloody froth in the airway with the quivalent of an "inflated chest" - hence my reference to car tyres.

Military paramedics are taught needle thoracostomy for sucking wounds of the chest.

Oops, A car tyre is indeed inlated to about 1.7 bar or 17 metres of sea water (not feet!) This would be 56 fsw. :bonk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom