Cold water with an aqualung abs safe second regulator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacificDiverNw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
On my diving set up I just put on a aqualung abs regulator. After I got home I noticed it said not to use in water under 50 degrees f. As I do diving in the northwestern us is it ok If I'd use this reg around the mid fourtys?

Well.... it's just a straight forward downstream second stage so there isn't anything inherently different between that reg and most of the other 2nd stages on the market right now.

What it doesn't have, however, is a heat-sink. Cold water regulators usually have those as a measure to avoid the reg freezing open (free flowing) in cold water.

So my guess is that they recommend against using this regulator in cold water because it could potentially be more prone to free flowing than a regulator made specifically for cold water conditions.

By the way, there is a minor recall for that reg.... something about the plastic bit covering the exhaust vent. You might want to get it checked out.

R..

No problems at all with our rental fleet of aqualungs (inc the abs) here in the pacific north north west! (45deg water).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom