Cold Water Wet Suit Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you thought about a good 7-8mm semi-dry suit? Their cheaper than full dry and safer if she isn't certified to dive dry. I have no experience in your location but its gotta be better than full wet...

Great suggestions!

Here's whats worked for me..... I had problems with cold feet in 7mil boots so, I got neoprene socks. They are amazing! In between dives, I layer MANY longsleeved shirts/sweatshirts/hoodies/jacket and wear at least one winter hat. Try to stay out of wind best you can. I just drink straight hot water to heat from inside. Of course hot choc would taste better but, I use that water for inside my suit also. I bring at least 3 thermoses (sp?) of water. And when I pour hot water in my suit, I only let it sit for less than 1/2 a minute. Doesn't matter before or after dive, I seem to feel colder if I let it sit.

Just to throw this in, doing 2-4 cold dives in a day and drinking tons of water brings the pee factor in. Theres no way I'm flushing in the cold water and sometimes there isn't enough hot to feel fresh as a summers day. So, I bring baby wipes. Just sayin.....

Good luck with her OW cert!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

She didnt want to spend the bucks on a DS until she knew she liked cold water diving. So we will head up to the sound next month and using everyone's advice, hope for the best.

I still can't get over all the responses, you've made us feel quite welcome on the forum.

I would imagine that you may be able to find a dive shop that will allow her to borrow one of their drysuits for the certification class. That way, she would be able to do her certification dives warm and dry, but not have to make the initial (expensive) investment. BTW, if she does decide that she likes diving and wants to continue doing cold water diving, check out the used market for drysuits....there are very good deals to be had in the classifieds section, ebay, and craigslist.

I didn't read the rest of the responses to the thread, but when I have to dive wet (like now....sigh), I bring nearly scalding hot water to the dive site and dump it down my wetsuit at the end of the dive....I normally don't make a second dive, but that's probably not an option for check-out dives.

If you don't get her the dry suit, Take a container of warm water and put it into the wetsuit after she dons it (might help with colder water ) keep warm , dry clothes for when she is done.

That's what we do around here (dump warm water in the wetsuit). It not the same as going dry but it helps.

I don't know what shop she's doing her OW dives through, but can you rent her a dry suit?

Three years ago, when I rather reluctantly agreed to learn to dive, I told my husband I would do the classroom and pool sessions here in Seattle, but he had to take me to his father's in Maui for the OW dives, because I was never, ever, ever going to set foot in Puget Sound -- It was just too dratted COLD!

To make a long story short, I got mau-maued into doing the OW dives here, and did them in a dry suit, and that was about 500 Puget Sound dives ago. I'm not at ALL sure I would have stuck with it in a wetsuit, especially in midwinter. I HATE being cold.

If your shop doesn't rent dry suits for certification dives, I can give you the names of some which do, including two which rent the White's Fusion, which I think is an idea suit to use for OW dives, because of the wide range of fit it offers.

Dry suit is definitely an option, but I think it might be too much for a new diver doing their OW checkout dives.
I don't see why. Everyone that certifies up here does their OW checkout dives in a drysuit. I'm sure this is true in many other places as well.

I find the worst thing is getting cold during the surface interval and then having to put the wet gloves and hood back on when I'm cold. So, as well as the woolly gloves, hat and warm jacket, a thermos of warm soup or coffee might be appreciated.
My standard practice now is to have a propane cookstove on site and use it to boil water. Then I dump that nice, hot, steamy water on and into the hood and gloves. Makes a world of difference.

On keeping warm between dives - sitting in the car with the heat going is a big help. Alternatively, you can have one of those propane powered heat things going and stand in front of that as necessary.

If you don't make the first dive comfortable for her it may be the first and last dive. Did you think about going to warmer waters. We checked at Vortec Springs in Fl during easter 2008. Water stays 68 all year . Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, this is why we went to Florida for my wife's OW course. She liked it well enough and said, all on her own, that she would be willing to try diving here. So, she tried. Did AOW and drysuit course - made 5 dives. Was completely miserable. I don't think she will ever dive in cold water again.

She didnt want to spend the bucks on a DS until she knew she liked cold water diving.
Of course not. That's why you rent one instead :)

Cheers!
nd

Even though I'm most likely to buy a Fusion drysuit in the near future, I'm still doing "wet" cold water diving.

As far as I'm concerned, there are two things to keep in mind.

1) Minimize heat loss during the dive :

- if you consider adding a "core warmer", try both layers together to make sure you have a good fit
- neoprene socks greatly reduce water flow
- avoid unnecessary movements (don't flail your arms)
- likewise, fin slowly
- don't pee... it might feel warmer but, just like sweating, it'll cool your body temperature
- just before the dive, fill your suit with warm water
- 5mm lobster claw mitts are warmer than 5mm gloves
- neoprene compresses at depth...

2) Keep your body warm during surface intervals :

- Dry your self ASAP and get into warm, dry clothes
- Shelter from the wind and rain

While I agree a drysuit being the best way to keep warm, I think it's more tricky to be taught in a drysuit then a wetsuit. The drysuit adds one element to an already nervous talk loaded student. If possible keep her in the wetsuit, the instructor will keep her busy enough while in the water that she won't notice the water temperature. I teach along the Northern California coast and the water temp is pretty cold (not quite as bad as the Sound) and after we are done with class I always ask about being cold. It is very rare for someone to have been cold. While out of the water keep her in a after dive jacket. It blocks the wind etc. Good luck and remember a promise to eventually go somewhere warm to dive goes a long way!

ANd for good measure after her dives be sure you have some good thick hot chocolate, a fire in the fireplace, warm towels, and a heavy warm robe. Then you will need to give her a full body massage with warm oil. Following this run a nice hot bath with candles and lots of bubbles. THen YOU will fix dinner and dessert. Promise her you will do this after every cold water dive she does with you. Bet she wants to hit the water every weekend!

Disclaimer: Any other warming activities that may result from the above are between two consenting adults and not to be discussed on an open forum.

Back
Top Bottom