Cold water valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I recall, they lost entire ships on the Murmansk run, not just helmets, to this in WW2 with the early welded hulls, when they would shatter and sink in the extreme cold. Not that scuba divers really have to worry about this since a valve knob failure, while irritating, is not going to be life threatening.

BTW I had a Halcyon camlok tank strap buckle, the old plastic one not the new SS, shatter into pieces during an ice dive.

I was working on the deck of a ship in Bath, Maine one very cold January day, when one of my co-workers dropped his hard hat on the steel deck and the plastic hard hat shattered into pieces.

Last edited:
The adibatic cooling load is placed on the first stage and partially on the valve - depnds where the air begins to expand (in the first stage) and anything closely attached to it.

I have never considered it directly before, but a valve with a larger surface area would transfer more heat. In that regard I suspect a DIN first stage with much more mating surface in contact with a valve woudl tranfer more heat from the valve and from the surrounding water.

Would the connection or valve make any difference? Probably not as long as everything else is suotable for cold water, but in a marginal situation, it might.

For me it sounds logic, that a DIN would have a nice heat transfer to the bottle.
But the INT has two nice "wings" for heat transfer.
I don't want to hijack that thread.....but if thats important (transfer the heat from the water to the first or second stage) why don't they look they heat shrinks on the CPU of a PC?

Back
Top Bottom