cold water upwelling and massive current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to topic. I mentioned the cold temps last week to a Meteorologist at Florida Institute of Technology and his comment was, "An upwelling by itself can't account for temps that cold, something else is going on there." I don't think he knows exactly what, but maybe the cold temps are caused by other factors as well. In any case, I'll bet that's why we haven't had as many storms this year.

DennisW:
Back to topic. I mentioned the cold temps last week to a Meteorologist at Florida Institute of Technology and his comment was, "An upwelling by itself can't account for temps that cold, something else is going on there." I don't think he knows exactly what, but maybe the cold temps are caused by other factors as well. In any case, I'll bet that's why we haven't had as many storms this year.

I (and many others) have noticed we get the upwellings whenever we have west winds. This explanation makes perfect sense to me: http://marine.rutgers.edu/coolroom/education/upwelling.htm

Thanks for the web site. Very informative. However, the water was clearer than the week before when it was 84 degrees with winds out of the East.

And the cold water always coincides with lobster mini season and lasts 2 to 3 weeks...it seems to gone away now. Didn't affect the Keys...like a bath tub there.

WPB was 83 yesterday. Funny thing happened though... We did our first dive on Tear Drop with a Northerly current... We went to Toy Box and Playpen for our second dive, and they dropped us so we would drift into the Toy Box... well, the current was now heading south...

But.. to keep on topic... the upwelling is gone for now...

Glad to hear the warm water is back. I am diving four dives Sat in Jupiter and wanted to get some more dive time in without the BIG Suit.

Just wondering what groups take trips to Hole in the Wall and what you used. Doubles with deco bottle? I hear of people using standard aluminum 80s, but I do'nt think that is a good idea considering the depth.

DennisW:
Maybe it's "Global Cooling". Hey, I can coin a new phrase, write a book, and hit the lecture circuit. Or I can keep my day job.

It's back...Dove Wabasso today. Temp dropped 2 degrees during from 77d to 75d. I'm taking a Nitrox Class to Pelican Flats on Sunday....been as cold as 52d this summer...Please sea gods warm up the ocean by then!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom