Cold Water Suit Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bierstadt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at getting something a bit warmer than my 3mm full suit. I have been reading to try and learn what the options are. My goal is to have something that will keep me acceptably warm on the bottom of Lake Erie in the summer and dive in the late fall and spring. So down to at least 40F, preferably 35F. The obvious choice is a drysuit with suitable undergarments, which is the go-to in my area. But I don't have $1k to spend on an exposure suit anytime soon. So moving on...

A 7mm suit would be suitable for summer wreck diving but would not extend as far into the shoulder season as I would like. Conversely, I have heard a fair bit about some wet suits being made of superior materials than others, or alternative design approaches. So my question is how many degrees of warmth is added (over a conventional 7mm suit with gloves and hood) by:

1) Semi-dry suits;
2) Free diving "open cell" suits such as Mako's;
3) Farmer John style 7+7mm suits;
4) Magical special 7mm suit manufacturer claims is warmer than other 7mm suits (are they?); and
5) 7mm suit with added hooded vest or other layering accessories.

Those are the cold water diving options I have identified between the "standard" 7mm suit and drysuits. Please tell me if I missed an option. I also recognize that perceived temperature comfort varies wildly between divers. Personally, I find 59F in my 3mm with a cap to be delightful and refreshing. I may be part polar bear. However, I am doubtful I would like ice diving in an off-the-shelf 7mm.

I can weigh the cost, comfort, and complexity tradeoffs decently, but I could use some help on the warmth part. Thank you, and feel free to educate and correct.

Save up for a drysuit. It's the best answer.

I did around 40 minutes in the Mediterranean off of Spain yesterday. Temp was 61 F. I used a fairly new Scuba Pro 7mm, hood and gloves. All I can say is that was about my limit. I certainly wouldn’t go colder that that in anything other than a dry suit. At this temperature, without a hood or gloves it hurts, even clearing your mask hurts.

59 in a 3mm, for me you’re already crazy. Considering a wetsuit for 35! That’s just bonkers. Go dry or stay home!

Last edited:
59F! In a 3mm! Wow! I’m in a 7mm as soon as it hits low to mid 70s.

I have an 8/7 semi-dry and it minimizes/eliminates water flushing and movement and is warmer in that regard than a regular wetsuit of the same thickness. Attached hood also is warmer to me than a separate hood. Coldest i have dived is 46-48F in this and I was still cold. You would have more flexibility with seasons and temperature using a hooded vest or a vest and a hood separately on top of a 7mm. You could also look into a heated vest under your wetsuit but that is $$.

I agree that for safety’s sake, save up for a drysuit. Maybe even buy used.

Thank you for the answers so far. Obviously my comfort range differs substantially from that of most people. (59F in 3mm. Not cold. Comfortable. Enjoyable. Repeated. Could go colder.) Which is why I asked how much the listed options are warmer than conventional 7mm suits. Just that. I am not going to dive if I am too cold. I am not going to be unsafe. I will get a drysuit eventually. But in the meantime, any impressions on how much warmer various enhanced wetsuits are are much appreciated.

The temperature range you are talking about is drysuit temperature range. Semidry would help to some extent but not for long and not for deep. Drysuit is the way to go for your safety and enjoyment.

Thank you for the answers so far. Obviously my comfort range differs substantially from that of most people. (59F in 3mm. Not cold. Comfortable. Enjoyable. Repeated. Could go colder.) Which is why I asked how much the listed options are warmer than conventional 7mm suits. Just that. I am not going to dive if I am too cold. I am not going to be unsafe. I will get a drysuit eventually. But in the meantime, any impressions on how much warmer various enhanced wetsuits are are much appreciated.

A true semidry suit is significantly warmer than even a regular 7mm suit in my experience.

Wetsuits with fuzzy fleece type lining are warmer than regular wetsuits, but more expensive. That will get you through your first, short, miserable dive.
Have you considered selling all the crap in your garage/attic on eBay? I just sold 50 year old wrapping paper, used baking pans, empty jewelry store boxes, ancient crumbly tools, sometimes stuff i don’t even know what it is.
At this rate i may end up with an LDS Santi!!!

Back
Top Bottom