Cold water regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I may just be missing it but, on the Oceanic website I don't see which of their regulators are considered cold water regulators. I am not looking for winter diving, just our lakes up here in the Northeast are cold. Can anyone help. Thanks, JOe

I may just be missing it but, on the Oceanic website I don't see which of their regulators are considered cold water regulators. I am not looking for winter diving, just our lakes up here in the Northeast are cold. Can anyone help. Thanks, JOe

They don't make it easy to find, but they actually have a chart that lists which are good for cold water:

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/pdf/compare_regulators.pdf

Terry

Thanks Terry, So its the first stage that is considered the "coldwater" part and not the second stage....

Thanks Terry, So its the first stage that is considered the "coldwater" part and not the second stage....

The first stage definitely needs to be rated for cold water, in order for it to work reliably in cold water. I've seen second stages especially designed for cold water, but I don't know which specific Oceanic would be appropriate.

Oceanic does read this forum, so if you wait a bit, I'm sure you'll get a better answer than mine.

Terry

All manufacturers base their cold water ratings on the first stage. Since it's under so much pressure, it's much easier for the first stage to freeze than the second.

I don't know if Oceanic even sells anything other than CDX5 and FDX10 first stages any more.

I have 3 Delta4/FDX10s and I never hesitate to use them in cold water, but the coldest I've been in is 52F. My instructor uses his below 40F, and his has never frozen.

I seem to remember reading an article stating that the USCG was switching to the Delta4/FDX10 combo specifically for the cold water performance.

I seem to remember reading an article stating that the USCG was switching to the Delta4/FDX10 combo specifically for the cold water performance.

Delta4/FDX10 is a great combo for cold water...
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced its new regulator pick. In the June issue of Undercurrent, we wrote about NOAA's new rules and regulations for government divers in response to the death of two Coast Guard divers in Alaska last summer. One major change was giving the boot to all regulators Coast Guard divers had previously used for cold-water diving. After testing of multiple regulators, NOAA found Oceanic's Delta IV to be the most reliable.

"It consistently came up first for meeting all our criteria, and it won't freeze up in cold water," says Lieutenant Eric Johnson of the NOAA Diving Program. The Delta IV is an environmentally sealed diaphragm regulator and its first stage has Oceanic's Dry Valve Technology, designed to stop moisture and contaminants from entering and to prevent corrosion of internal components. NOAA bought 350 of the regulators and now requires its 500 divers to use that model when diving in water temperatures of 50 degrees or less. Johnson says the Navy's experimental dive unit is using them, too. The Delta IV is also commercially available for sport divers; Oceanic's suggested price is $570.

Cold-water divers should definitely invest in a good regulator that won't freeze up underwater. Two people died last April because of that problem. Jason Balsbough and Daniel Frendenberg, both age 21, and Sherry Eads, 43, went diving in a quarry in Gilboa, Ohio, where the water temperature was 38 degrees. Another diver called 911 to report the divers were down. Balsbough had regulator problems but was able to surface by himself. Frendenberg and Eads were too deep and their regulators were too iced for them to breathe.

I use Aqualung legend Glacia. I have dove in 42 degree fresh water up here in Canada without any problems. It has an environmentaly protected first stage. The housing is formed with heat echanger grooves and both Octo and Primary are equipped with heat exchangers as well. I bought these because I plan to do Ice Diving this winter and have had many great comments made about these regs. I love the feel and lightness of the reg. I feel no jaw fatigue and never have bubbles blowing up the front of my face. I am very impressed with the product.

Delta4/FDX10 is a great combo for cold water...
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced its new regulator pick. In the June issue of Undercurrent, we wrote about NOAA's new rules and regulations for government divers in response to the death of two Coast Guard divers in Alaska last summer. One major change was giving the boot to all regulators Coast Guard divers had previously used for cold-water diving. After testing of multiple regulators, NOAA found Oceanic's Delta IV to be the most reliable.

"It consistently came up first for meeting all our criteria, and it won't freeze up in cold water," says Lieutenant Eric Johnson of the NOAA Diving Program. The Delta IV is an environmentally sealed diaphragm regulator and its first stage has Oceanic's Dry Valve Technology, designed to stop moisture and contaminants from entering and to prevent corrosion of internal components. NOAA bought 350 of the regulators and now requires its 500 divers to use that model when diving in water temperatures of 50 degrees or less. Johnson says the Navy's experimental dive unit is using them, too. The Delta IV is also commercially available for sport divers; Oceanic's suggested price is $570.

Cold-water divers should definitely invest in a good regulator that won't freeze up underwater. Two people died last April because of that problem. Jason Balsbough and Daniel Frendenberg, both age 21, and Sherry Eads, 43, went diving in a quarry in Gilboa, Ohio, where the water temperature was 38 degrees. Another diver called 911 to report the divers were down. Balsbough had regulator problems but was able to surface by himself. Frendenberg and Eads were too deep and their regulators were too iced for them to breathe.

I'm in the market for my own gear and was looking at an alpha8. The more I think about it, I should invest a little more in my gear initially and get something that I won't need to update in several years time. I also dive in the cold waters of Tasmania, the water doesn't get to those temperatures but it would be nice to know that I have gear that is robust.

I've been looking at the Delta4/FDX10, hear allot of good things about it. Thanks, for all the info. JOe

April 1st 2008 I posted the NOAA letter insert that was in Under Current Magazine here on :sblogo:
around 8:00 pm. DSCHREF1 has copied the article and reproduced the article here for you. It is very cool stuff ... you know they went out and tested every reg they could get their hands on ... results speak for themself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom