• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

COLD WATER Regulators. Who's the king of the Deep??

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by adamp69, Oct 25, 2012.

1. adamp69

adamp69 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Proper tuning. As in tuning the regs yourself? not that i'd be unwilling or worried about working on my own regs. actually i'd prefer it. how does one become qualified to work on their regulators? i know that HOG has a course or something.

2. Kunundrum

Kunundrum Divemaster

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    My recommendation for a great Cold water Regulator is a sealed Diaphragm 1st stage, and a metal barreled balanced 2nd stage with a I.P. in 115-130 psi Range. a good example of this is the SP MK17/A700 or S600 combo or Apeks XTX50.

Jerry_ likes this.
  3. mikeawags

mikeawags Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Poseidon regs are the best hands down. I've dove mine in 34 degree, 80+ foot water countless times. The deeper you take them the easier they breathe. They breathe awesome below 200'.

Jerry_ and tadawson like this.
  4. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499

yaeg - don't do it! Be strong! Resist!

j yaeger likes this.
  5. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Bingo.... A lot of us up here use the Apeks DS4/XTX 50. They have sealed first stages, and fully adjustable secind stages. Having said that, after diving mine for a year (with no issues at all, in spite of trying to freeze them up in 35F water at 160') I took them in for their annual service. When I started diving them again, they just didn't feel "right" and sure enough, I had a (very minor) freezing issue on a 180' dive, in 40F water. I took the reg to my previous technician (who has a shop in Tobermory and knows a thing or two about cold water) and they have behaved beautifully ever since. It was just a case of knowing the right tweak...

I used Scubapros for years and they were good, but did get the odd freeze-up over the years. I suspect the newer ones are better.

Don't skimp on your reg., even if it means passing on buying something else for a while.

6. Divin'Hoosier

Divin'Hoosier Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'll throw in my favorite since this is really just a popularity contest. There are lots of great cold water regs but no objective 'best'.

I dive Aqua Lung Legends and love them. I've got over 150 dives on them in temps below 45. Never had a single issue. They're rock solid!

7. adamp69

adamp69 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Does Any one Brand have better warranty than others. i know some offer parts for servicing if the annuals are done on time. i have to figure out what shops can service what regs. I have to say that i like the apex XTX 50. I was trying to figure out what the deal is with the XTX-50 status as compared to the XTX-50. anyone know?

8. tye1138

tye1138 Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Another vote for Poseidon regs. I'm kinda shocked more people don't use them, they are truly the work-horse reg of the industry.

But then again, today there are lot of good regs. :shrug:

9. diversteve

diversteve always tired Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    +3 for Poseidon - they're designed/made in Sweden - originally for local conditions.

---------- Post Merged at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:19 PM ----------

afaik, the Status designation means it has the LCD display on the 1st stage:

http://www.apeks.co.uk/products/pro...=ENG&Product=XTX50 Status&Category=Regulators

Also it's Apeks not Apex - you wouldn't believe how often I correct that in post titles - to keep the search indexes accurate.

10. Sea Hamster

Sea Hamster Solo Diver

The Posiedon Xstream is the regulator daddy of the cold and deep:cool2:

Jerry_ and mikeawags like this.