Cold Water Reg or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spirit_lupis

Reaction score
My diving will consist mostly of South Central IL, and Southern Mo., But will also include Chicago area, and Northern Florida. These are not the only places I plan on diving but they are the places that I live and have family so lodging expenses don't exist in those places. My question is basically do i need a cold water Reg? (Chicago area concerns me the most) I'm new and looking at getting my certification in the next couple months when I get income taxes back. But pricing gear to see how much I'm looking at spending total when I go to buy my own gear. Have been looking into dive packages, and none of them have a cold water reg included, they consist of two regs, Titan Micro Adj, or the Titan. I was thinking I may need more like a Titan LX (to have heat exchanger) or LX supreme (Cold Water specialty). Titan is what the packages consist of that I have been looking at. I'm not brand conscious but used these names cause there may be a possibility of upgrading the packages if I stay in the same brand, but that is not necessary to stay in those brands for advice. I want to get the right piece of equipment for what I will be doing. Oh and there is a possibility of Tech diving in the future. Thanks.

IF you are sold on the Aqualung regs, the Titan LX Supreme has the environmental seal but the Titan LX doesn't. I believe all of the Legends are environmentally sealed. IMO I'd want a cold water reg for some of the places you are planning on diving.

Also, Aqualung just came out with the new Auto Closure Device (ACD) on their Legend regs similar to Oceanic's Dry Valve Technology (DVT). That means you might be able to find a deal on the pre-ACD Legends if your LDS still has some of those in stock.

I'd agree with StSomewhere. I'm in the Midwest also, and one of my basic requirements for the reg I'm going to purchase soon is that it be a "cold water" reg. I will eventually be doing both Great Lakes and deep local quarries, and both can easily be in the low 40's F. To me, if I'm going to be 100' down in a quarry or in Lake Michigan diving a wreck, I don't want to be worrying about my reg freezing up. To me, the cost difference is too small to run the risk.

Im not sold on any brand that is just the regs that the dive shop has package prices on. Package prices=BCD, Reg, backup reg, gauges, compass. I was looking at the package deals and they said they could swap some thing out and upgrade for more cost. Titan series was the only regs offered. But they didn't offer any Cold regs, and I thought for the chicago area I may need one. Therefore the question. So I'm open to any suggestions. I don't have to do a package deal if it's not right for me.

spirit_lupis:
Im not sold on any brand that is just the regs that the dive shop has package prices on. Package prices=BCD, Reg, backup reg, gauges, compass. I was looking at the package deals and they said they could swap some thing out and upgrade for more cost. Titan series was the only regs offered. So I'm open to any suggestions. I don't have to do a package deal if it's not right for me.

I think most any dive shop will put together a "package" for you. If you buy a BC, reg (1st and two 2nds) and gauges, they will give you a package discount of anywhere from 10-25%. Expect it. Shop around. There are also some very good brands that can be purchased online fully within warranty. Personally (just the approach I'm taking, not saying it will work for everyone!), I'm most likely going to be purchasing a DSS BP/W for my BC and Dive Rite RG2500 regulator with an RG1210 alternate, SPG and I have already purchased an Aeris Atmos 2 wrist mounted computer. All will be purchased online, and all will be in warranty from reputable, reliable shops that also have an online store.

An LDS's standard discount is 10%, you should get that as the discount for any major single piece of equipment like just a reg or BC or whatever. They should be able to do better than 10% as part of a package. Especially if you are actually at the point of writing a check, handing them a credit card, etc.

Good luck!

Divin'Hoosier:
I think most any dive shop will put together a "package" for you. If you buy a BC, reg (1st and two 2nds) and gauges, they will give you a package discount of anywhere from 10-25%. Expect it. Shop around. There are also some very good brands that can be purchased online fully within warranty. Personally (just the approach I'm taking, not saying it will work for everyone!), I'm most likely going to be purchasing a DSS BP/W for my BC and Dive Rite RG2500 regulator with an RG1210 alternate, SPG and I have already purchased an Aeris Atmos 2 wrist mounted computer. All will be purchased online, and all will be in warranty from reputable, reliable shops that also have an online store.

Wow. It sounds like your initial buying plan has been changed a lot within two weeks...:wink:

hoosier:
Wow. It sounds like your initial buying plan has been changed a lot within two weeks...:wink:

Yes indeed. I think the DIR gods have shot me clean through with the DIR arrow! I even ordered my two testaments from GUE (aka. Doing it Right and Dress for Success). That's what too much reading on this Board will do to ya'! :D

Now ... once I actually purchase all of these toys next month, who's going to help me set them up? :huh: That Hog harness is going to be fun indeed!

Divin'Hoosier:
Yes indeed. I think the DIR gods have shot me clean through with the DIR arrow! I even ordered my two testaments from GUE (aka. Doing it Right and Dress for Success). That's what too much reading on this Board will do to ya'! :D

Now ... once I actually purchase all of these toys next month, who's going to help me set them up? :huh: That Hog harness is going to be fun indeed!

Hahaha.... I can be with you at the local dive sites.... Shoot me email when you are ready....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom