Cold Water Reg for All Water Use? Apeks ATX40?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is probably a dumb question, but... I am just getting into ice diving. Looking at a good deal on an Apeks ATX40 Reg that would be nice to have for cold water dives - balanced, environmentally sealed, etc. Is there any reason why a cold water regulator couldn't serve well as an all-around reg for diving in warmer waters as well? I can't imagine why not... But just wanted to ask more experienced folks to be sure. I often dive in the tropics, but as of recently I also travel to cold/icy waters too - I'd like to own one reg and not have to spend too much money on excess gear... Thanks!

Why not? I have an AquaLung Legend LX Supreme that's a cold water reg. Whenever I start diving warmer waters (than are found in the Midwest), I'll be using it, as well.

I agree, and once you use your Apeks, you won't want to use anything else!

There are various features of a "cold water reg" that define it as such. Foremost of these in the case of the Apeks DS4 is that it is sealed. This fact not only helps it work properly in very cold water, but it also keeps out salt water, sand, small fish, beer caps and zebra mussels.

You're good to go...

I own four DS4/XTX 50s and a DS4/XTX40 on an O2 bottle. They're bombproof under the ice and 200' down in the Blue Hole in Belize, three days apart...

No problem what so ever. Apeks are great regs. I prefer the ATX second stages to the XTX range, more robust. You can down the track convert an ATX40 to 50 if you so wish, it's an easy job.

ATX40(2nd stage) is suitable for cold water diving if it is paired with eg. DS4, DST, FST and FSR(all Apeks 1st stages).
However, some of the Apeks 1st stage aren't eg. US4 and UST.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom