cold water gs2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barrmust

Contributor
Reaction score
hey all::
what temp is a genesis gs2000 good to? im in maryland and dive in some of the quarrys around here that are in the low 40s at 90-100 ft during the summer and only get colder. they say it is enviromentaly sealed but how cold can it go. thanks

Russ

A buddy of mine uses one and routinely dives to 130 plus feet in 39-45 degree water with no concerns.

I dive with a guy under the ice once. He didn't seem to have too many problems. He just had to be careful and keep the first stage submerged once wet to prevent freeze up.

The "Sherwood-esque" improved dry bleed 1st stage is really a neat thing - and while I don't dive in that cold of water, I would assume it would be great for that, as water never enters the reg. And unlike the Sherwood of old, you don't have a constant stream of bubbles coming from the dry bleen plug. Only on ascent when the pressure bleeds off as you reduce the pressure.

I don't think so Larry, the new sherwoods bleed constantly throughout the dive.
The Sherwood Website:
Sherwood's Unique, Replaceable
Flow Control Element
Delivers a precisely metered amount of air to the spring chamber to equalize the spring chamber pressure with the surrounding water pressure. When the air pressure in the spring cavity is higher than the water pressure, a bleed valve lets excess air escape. (Over a 60-minute dive you lose just one to two breaths.) Most regulators let water into the spring chamber to equalize the pressure, which can result in contaminants entering the first stage. This unique Sherwood feature means better performance and longer times between regulator tune-ups, and lower maintenance costs for you

So the dry bleed is always bleeding except for when in demand (inhalation) Mine did this as well. I agree that this is a great reg though, I had mine for 2 years and loved it. I think that it is one of few balanced piston regs on the market that does not let air into the spring chamber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom