Cold Water Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to wait till it was warm enough for my 3 mil (upstate NY, great lakes) once that week was over, I'd wait until next season. Now I have a whites aqua pro dry suit, and the pool's open all year....

Depending on your size, I do have a 7mm full wet suit that may be available

I dive a Viking Sport drysuit and 200 gr thermal undergarment for any temps under 50. Above those temps I can use less undergarment, and I can also dive a 7mm wetsuit down to about 42 degrees. The thing that makes a difference is the surface temps, too cold and it's not fun with the wind in the face sort of thing.

I have used a Mares evolution 7(full)+5(shorty with hood) for over one year up here in Finland. No ice diving, but early spring and late summer. Coldest dives have been around 40f. Sometimes I felt like my face was frozen, made worse by the fact that the rest of me was quite warm. Not to bad fro a wet suit. Never once felt too cold. Only one complaint, it can be tricky getting the shorty off after the dive.

That said, I would recommend that if your are going to dive a lot of cold water go for the drysuit. Remember the more neoprene you have on, the less mobility you have and the more weight you carry.

A few weeks ago I was in a lake 38f. With 7 mil farmer john and jacket, 2 mil shorty, 6 mil boots. All of that was fine. But the mistake was, rental hood and gloves. Fingers burn and head went numb. Makes buoyancy a big pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom