Cold Water Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CantDiveEnough

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

Im very new to diving. I got my OW cert last september, and was working all winter. Now Im starting to get the itch with the air temp going up. I would like to know what yall are wearing in 40-55 degree water. Im still learning so please talk to me like im a 5year old. LOL... But I would really appreciate it. I have to get back in the water soon!!!

Thanks

I've been fine in my 7mm wetsuit (Henderson InstaDry head to toe) in our local (Los Angeles area) waters, that have been 50-51 degrees F lately. Not exactly toasty, but comfortable enough (the exception was a 5-dive day off a local boat during a winter storm with air temps in the mid 40s... cumulatively I started getting more and more COLD!). I still want a dry suit a LOT, and would not want to dive wet in water much colder than this. I'm definitely looking forward to warmer weather (and water).

I dive a USIA aqua pro plus dry suit. I love it and it is extremely durable. I just picked up some dry gloves to go with it. I find myself in a range from 35 to 55 degree water.

I also have a 2 piece 7mm john and jane wetsuit, which is what all the open water students use, I would recommend that if you find yourself diving a lot in cold water, especially repetative dives, to get a dry suit.

USIA; DUI; Bare; all great dry suits, and I know I am leaving tons of other brands out. Be sure to talk to your local dive shop for advice as well. They will know the conditions better than most, well hopefully.

Also gloves, 5mm neoprene will do the trick.
Hood, 5mm neoprene is what I dive and I am comfy.
boots, 5mm is what I have for my wetsuit.

Again, go talk to you local dive shop (lds) and see what they recommend for your local waters and appropriate exposure protection.

Hope this helps, good luck on your dives.

Nick

I did a couple hundred dives in a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit with no real problems in water that averaged 50 degrees year round. I now wear a drysuit but the wetsuit did it's job well for about 5 years before I crossed over to the dry side.

I did my OW certs in the Channel Islands...and a 7mm John and Jacket did me fine. Most people used a 7mm one piece suit. I guess as long as it's 7mm or thicker you should be fine. You can always add on a vest or something to add more insulation if you're still cold.

Thanks, im thinkin Dry suit is the way to go, when i get the money for it. Water temps around Lk Ontario and the St. lawrence stay cold for a while. They warm up slow. So i better get with it huh....

CantDiveEnough:
Im still learning so please talk to me like im a 5year old.
Stop screaming! Dont you ever slow down! Quit hitting your brother!

How's that?

I couldnt resist. I spent last weekend with 5 & 2.5 year old grandsons.

Willie

When I'm not in my dry suit I use a Pinnacle Arctic 7mil (warmest wetsuit I've owned. If you want to consider a drysuit, Pinnacle builds a hell of a suit for a LOT less than DUI. Also, they are giving LDS's big discounts on wholesale prices right now so shop arond and haggle some and you may get in for under a grand.

My basic cold water set-up is a 7mm Henderson neo sport farmer john and jacket with an Oceanic 6/5/4mm hooded vest, Henderson neo sport 7mm booties and 7mm Henderson gripper gloves. This past weekend in our local quarry, I slipped a 1mm Akona one piece under all of that and used Bare 7mm 3-fingered mitts instead of gloves. Totally fine (for me) in 43 degree water for 47 minutes.

Just finished my Intro to Tech Diving course up in NE PA. Sat was about 35 degrees surface, 43 degree water. Had to do two dives. The SI was a killer...rain, then sleet, then snow. I have a 6.5 FJ Akona. If my jacket wasn't floppy, I wouldn't have minded it. Only month I haven't dove was Dec. Water is usually between 37 to 43 during the cooler months. I don't have the bucks for a drysuit yet, but looking forward to the day!!

I was looking at buying a Pinnacle Arctic 7 mil, but didn't know how it would stand up to the cold up here. A buddy of mine has the 8/6 Extreme and has been ocean diving with it with not even a chill.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom