Cold Water Divers - Whats your Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dad_Crush

Registered
Reaction score
My LDS recommended the Oceanic Delta 4 regulator. Anyone else have suggestions for cold water applications? A comfortable old reliable regulator that's treated you well that you wouldn't part with? Just looking for ideas... :coffee:

I learned on Poseidon cyclones (in a cold lake in the UK) and bought Poseidon Xstreams shortly after getting certified. I've taken them to Iceland (where the whole group, by chance, was diving with Poseidon regs) and to warm waters. No problems ever.

I've only used Poseidon regs so can't comment on the comparison with other brands.

Both Poseidon or Sherwood fill our teams dive locker. Any problems have been our fault and not the equipments.

Gary D.

Well, I'll first say that I'm new to diving, with only about 8 months of experience. but I tried a ScubaPro MK25 first stage with a S600 2nd stage and a G250V, and both are awesome, and breath quite well. (I've only tested so far, but will let you know more in a little bit) I haven't had any experience with other systems, but I love this reg! I have noticed that many brands (including ScubaPro) often ding you if you buy a more advanced 2nd stage as a backup, without buying a 1st stage,(the other option is buying a not as nice octo reg, without certain adjustment capabilities) but I think that a little more is definitely worth it. I'll say it again, I don't have a lot of experience, so my comments will definitely not be the best out there!

P.S. I know this is common knowledge to most of you, but I thought I'd mention it also---a piston 1st stage is a definite choice for cold water diving...

AL Titan LX Supreme. The Titan was recommended by a bunch of commercial divers. I went a step up got the enviro-sealed. I have had it to 40m @ 5C and it didn't breath any different then at the surface. Cant say what it would do in the ice.

Sherwood Blizzard, Phoenix Royal "aqua-master"

Both have been under the ice without incident.

I use Mares Abyss regs, without the cold water kit. The coldest dive this winter was 112' and 31f (or 35f depending on which gauge you believe).

I think that most modern regs will work in cold water, with the proper technique and a relaxed breathing rate, although I prefer diaphragm regs since they are essentially sealed. I think the Delta 4 you are considering was designated NOAA's cold water reg of choice this year.

I had the Delta4 for a year with about 20 dives in 30* waters. Never had a problem. But that doesn't prove anything anyway.

sherwood blizzard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom