Cold water but hot day: drysuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just bought my first drysuit for diving. Bought an Aqualung Fusion Bullet Aircore drysuit last weekend along with a Fusion Thermal undersuit and Fusion boots (actually the shop gave me the boots). The shop did not have my size in the Fusion Thermal so they loaned me a Polaris jump suit style fleece undersuit until the Fusion Thermal they ordered for me arrives.

I have had the drysuit and undersuit draped over a chair in my living room for a week as I dreaded the idea of putting the drysuit on as it has been quite warm lately here in Belgium.

This evening I finally put the suit on to attach the boots and to make sure my backplate harness fits properly over the suit, and that I could get the bungee loops of my computer over the si tech wrist rings.

I was quite warm and sweating profusely....made sliding my head and wrists out of the silicone seals effortless, but it got me questioning the sanity of diving a drysuit.

The Fusion Thermal undersuit is at least twice as thick, if not more, than the Polaris suit I had on tonight. I can only imagine how much warmer and sweatier I would be in that undersuit while dressing out, walking from car to water's edge, and doing a buddy check. What does one do when the water is cold but the air temp is hot such as during spring diving in north western Europe? (The water in the local quarry is 12C/53F above the thermocline and 6C/42F below it)

It was 11pm when I started putting the suit on so I was able to step outside to cool off, but that won't be possile when diving during the day.

What is the secret to not dying of heat stroke when getting geared up for a drysuit dive on a hot day?

-Z

A problem all dry suit divers face. I find just a wetsuit to be too hot on a 90+F day here in New England. I do all my pre-dive prep before donning my dry suit. Including when possible bringing my tank(s) and other gear to the water edge. Suit up quick in the shade if possible. A popup shelter for shade could be useful. Use the min. undergarments; you may wind up owning several different pairs of undergarments.

I have a 4mm crushed neoprene suit, partly due to the flexibility it gives me for undergarment selection. The water here is 55F the air yesterday was 90F; had I dove yesterday my choice of undergarment would have been wicking underwear, sweat pants, and a sweat shirt, the suit would provide the remaining insulation. You don't have that option so you need to carefully select what you wear and minimize the surface time spent suited up.

Last edited:
I dive only dry since I have no other suit and I learned this way...
Prepare all your gear and bring it to the boat or near the shore in shorts and t-shirt. Just before diving get into your suit, zip up and have a shower till you are completely soaked or splash into the sea => evaporative cooling will take care of the heat.

When I dive as such (Hot day/ cold water), I set up my equipment completely, then I get dressed in the drysuit & undergarment. After dressing, I get into the water & cool off,... I then get out of the water, get into my equipment & get back into the water before I pass out.

What a lot of us do locally in the summer is keep the suit around your waist if possible and only finish getting suited up when you're ready to splash. It does get hot, but as soon as we splash, it cools right off. One of the most important things is to wear a really good wicking base layer as no matter how much you take it easy, you will sweat and there will be condensation inside the suit.

95+ degrees and 95% humidity in Florida at some dive sites. 400g thinsulate, baselayer, and heated vest for long dives.

I try to have everything laid out so I can get into my suit quickly, then I hop in the water for a bit to cool down. Then it’s into my gear as fast as I can and back in the water.

I have to say that I'm jealous of everyone that can jump in the water to cool off. The worst feeling is when you're suited up with full gear ready to tie into a wreck and they can't pick up the wreck on the bottom finder :rant:

I don't dive drysuit, but agree with AfterDark's advice about wetsuit in hot weather. Every place and every day is different.
Here in Nova Scotia we have in May/June:
Warm weather, very cold water.
Advice: Set up everything else first wearing only bathing suit. Wetsuit on last.
Oct./Nov:
Cold weather, pretty warm water.
Advice: Set up everything else first wearing warm clothing. Then switch to wetsuit ASAP.
If really cold, warm up with car heat.

Back
Top Bottom