cold water boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In prep for the upcomming winter season I was researching some coldwater dive boots. I dive wet and will be diving at the coldest in low 40's. The avg. will be upper 40's and low 50's. I have been diving using 5mm boots and my toes freeze after about 15 min.

I was looking at some Bare 7mm, Bare Ice Boot, and Oceanic 6.5mm boots. Any experience with these or other thick boots would be appreciated.

What boots do you dive cold water in? Do you think the Merino lined Pennicale boots are worth the extra $$$$ that I'm assuming they would be?

Jeremy

I wore the pinnacle merino lined boots for awhile, apex style. They seem to be falling apart rather quickly on me. Maybe just a bad batch I got. With neoprene socks and them in 40F water I never notice my feet cold. Unfortuantely the apex's don't work very well in my new fins so I have since retired the boots. I got a pair of henderson goldcore 7mm zipper boots today and am curious to get them down into the cold with a pair of socks on and see how they do. I assume if they are like my 5mm goldcores they will do fine with my fins. Whatever you do, let me know how you like em. I am getting perpared for the winter season as well as I just got those boots today, and got a pair of 7mm titanium hyperstrech gloves today. So far those gloves have the best fit out of all the gloves I have tried. I seem to have good flexibility in them too so maybe I will have solved my freezing hands problem as well.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I was looking at the gold core 7mm hendersons too. I've also ordered a pair of neoprene socks recommended on another thread. Which store in our area has thick boots in stock? I want to take my fins with me to try on some. All I ever see are 3mm and a few 5mm but no 7mm? Think SeaVentures would have some? I will be up that way tomorrow.

Jeremy

JKSteger:
Thanks Matt,

I was looking at the gold core 7mm hendersons too. I've also ordered a pair of neoprene socks recommended on another thread. Which store in our area has thick boots in stock? I want to take my fins with me to try on some. All I ever see are 3mm and a few 5mm but no 7mm? Think SeaVentures would have some? I will be up that way tomorrow.

Jeremy
No Idea, I ordered mine through Divers Supply. I don't go into Seaventures anymore, and never will again. I'm hoping the goldcore 7mm keep me warm. I guess I will see, I am hoping to go hit some cold water this week.

Matt

Matt,
My GF is wearing Henderson Gold Core 7mm with the neoprene sock. It keeps her warm very well. I am also wearing 5 mm Gold Core with the same sock. It works very well at 43 degree. We know what bottom temperature we have here :)

So I know this is an old post but I figured I'd reply to it anyways.

I used to dive with Henderson 7mm hyperstretch boots, then I realized how much water they collect and how much of a pain it is to empty them with no zipper. So then I decided I would other then Pinnacle Merino Apex boots, I got them the other day and realized they don't have the hard sole like the Henderson, so I returned them and ordered the new Pinnacle Barracuda 7mm Merino Lined boots, they should arrive tomorrow and I haven't seen any reviews for them yet, but I got some high hopes, so will see if they are any good.

Back
Top Bottom