cold numb fingers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joed

Reaction score
When the water gets cooler in the fall and I still use thin neoprene gloves, my index and middle finger on my right hand usually get numb and white, and there is pain. To combat that I now wear real neoprene dive shop bought 5 finger gloves, I wore them today and the water temp was 63 degrees. I told my doc about this and he asked me if my fingers ever got frostbite? I don't know, I know that have been cold and wet sking but I never climbed Mt. Everest or anything. Could this numbing be from frostbite? The white numb fingers turn normal after 10 minutes or so when I wrap them in a towel or blanket after I get out of the water. After I warm up the symptoms go away and there is no problem until the next time my hands get cold.

I used to have the same problem, although I didn't really experience pain in my fingers. I have never gotten frostbite in my fingers. They would turn absolutely white and go numb. I solved that problem by using dry gloves. Of course, if you're still diving wet, I don't know how well they would work with a wetsuit. I use latex wrist seal gloves and get an excellent seal over the latex wrist seals of my drysuit.

just get a good 5mm gloves. I dive in a drysuit, but I use 5mm OMS gloves - those are pretty long. sometimes I feel them with warm water - I don't belive it helps as advertised, but beats the initial cold water contact feeling.

oh, I usually dive in the nort east - temp is around 45-48F

consider dry gloves. I dive in really cold water year round and would not survive without them. They are just fantastic and I don't have any cold in my fingers anymore.

It sounds like you have decent wet gloves. That was the first step for me. When I changed my worn out old gloves for nice new ones my hands were so much warmer.

Cold hands is often a sign that the rest of your body is cooling down too much. Do you have an adequate suit, hood, etc?

The rest of me is pretty warm in my wetsuit. Good hood ,boots, etc. I wonder about the fingers because this numbness sometimes happens out of the water. I was watching a baseball game one wet cold April day and I was fine and suddenly those 2 fingers were numb and white. I put on gloves but the numbness and pain stayed until I got them warmed up inside. Thanks for everyones help, this is a great bunch of people on this forum

joed,

I'm a dentist not a physician but you might want to check out a condition called Raynaud's Syndrome.

Here is some info I copied...I'll give the link at the end.

Raynaud’s Syndrome

Raynaud's syndrome, which may afflict up to 1 in 20 Americans, is a circulatory disorder of blood vessels of the extremities. Constriction of those vessels is a normal physiological response to low temperatures, helping the body conserve heat. In Raynaud's syndrome, named for a French physician who first described the condition more than a century ago, nerve receptors in the extremities are overly sensitive to stimulation. Even a slight temperature drop — perhaps the faint chill produced by opening a refrigerator door — will cause a spasmodic closing of the small arteries in the fingers (and sometimes in toes). Typically fingers turn white, then blue, then red, indicating a progression from total blood deprivation to limited blood flow to sudden infusion of oxygenated blood as blood vessels suddenly dilate. Episodes are brief, usually lasting only a few minutes.

The syndrome takes two forms. About 90 percent of cases are of the type called Raynaud's disease or primary Raynaud's — an isolated condition with no connection to other medical problems. It most often affects women and usually sets in before the age of40 . The remaining 10 percent of cases are termed Raynaud's phenomenon or secondary Raynaud's. This version, which tends to start later in life, is connected to other medical factors; an underlying disease, for instance, or the long-term use of such vibrating tools as a chain saw or jackhammer.

For most sufferers, Raynaud's syndrome is a mild but maddening condition. Ordinarily, its most serious consequence is a loss of sensitivity in the affected extremity. Very rarely, a severe case results in tissue death and gangrene.

Symptoms

* Sudden coldness, numbness or prickly pins-and-needles sensation in the fingers, and possibly toes, when exposed to even a mild drop in temperature — as when walking into an air-conditioned room, for instance. The same symptoms might also be triggered by emotionally stressful situations.
* Dramatic color changes in the fingers: When first exposed to cold, fingers turn white, then blue; when rewarmed, they quickly turn red and may throb uncomfortably.

Causes
The underlying causes of Raynaud's disease are unknown. It afflicts women disproportionately; men account for only about 1 case in5 . It is not thought to be an inherited condition, but it frequently affects more than one family member.

Raynaud's phenomenon has many causes, including such connective-tissue diseases as scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, and lupus; exposure to certain chemicals and drugs, such as beta-adrenergic blockers (used to treat high blood pressure) or ergotamine (used to treat migraine headaches); and use of vibrating machinery (see Work-Related Problems).

Treatment
Relief from Raynaud's is linked to improved circulation. Some exercises may help by forcing blood into the extremities, but relaxation techniques can also work. Of course avoiding triggers — such as cold or nicotine — will decrease the number of attacks.

Conventional Medicine
For most people, Raynaud's syndrome is not disabling enough to merit prolonged medical care. If attacks are frequent or severe, dilating, such as nifedipine, calcium channel blockers may be prescribed. A simple exercise — swinging your arms around like a windmill — will force blood into your extremities and may be as effective as drug therapy.

At-Home Remedies
You can train your fingers to resist chills. Starting in a warm room, place your hands in a warm bowl of water for 5 minutes; then move to a cold room or outdoors and again place your hands in warm water, now for 10 minutes. Repeat the procedure several times a day for as many days as necessary. Eventually, this will produce a conditioned reflex that is the very opposite of the normal one: When exposed to cold, the blood vessels in the fingers will open up rather than close down — without the aid of warm water.

Avoid substances that make you vulnerable to chill. These include nicotine, caffeine, birth-control pills and most over-the-counter decongestants, cold remedies or diet pills.

Treat finger or toe infections without delay. When circulation is impaired, even minor infections can become a problem.

Prevention
Devise ways to stay warm in your own home or office. Always carry a sweater. Use insulated glasses. Keep fingers and toes dry with talcum powder. Wear socks and mittens to bed. Outdoors, wear loose layers of blended fabrics; shoes made of breathable materials; a hat and, perhaps, earmuffs; and mittens rather than gloves. If you plan to be outside for several hours, try chemical "heaters" in your socks and mittens.

Call Your Doctor If:

* Raynaud's episodes become more intense. Irreversible damage to fingers or toes — a loss of feeling, for example — can occur in serious cases.
* Skin ulcers, sores, or discoloration appears on your fingers or toes. These signs suggest that extremities are being severely deprived of blood. In rare cases, gangrene may result.

http://www.lebanonhealth.com/condi/707.htm

Hope this helps.

Laurence Stein DDS

This may be a different form of chill Blaines. Usually this happens in winter and is similar to the above condition. Frankly if you want to avoid the problem you'll have to go dry. If you have problems on cold days then the only resouce is to live through it then get warm whenever possible.

but I'd have expected it would have shown itself in other ways, e.g. reaching into the fridge or freezer and grabbing something cold. As mentioned above, prevention is best, but that's hard if you're going to dive in cold water, so the dry glove suggestion sounds good. Drugs can help if it's more definitively diagnosed.

Personally, my hands used to get ice cold and almost useless in Monterey water (low 50's), even with 5 mm gloves when I dived wet. Diving dry, my hands are usually fine, even with ratty old 3mm gloves w/o gauntlets. My core is warm enough to send some warm blood to my fingers...

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom