Cold in a Fusion laminate drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stilldivin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving with a DUI CF200 compressed neoprene dry suit for a few years but decided to get a new laminate suit. Compressed neoprene suits don't seem to be available any more and the dealer told me I'd be warm in this suit. It's the most basic one you sell with a material outer cover over one layer of the waterproof material. The first time I used it in 52 degree water I froze. I then bought an expensive thinsulate undergarment, a Santi 400 and tried diving again. Better, but still cold. I even tried wearing a Lycra suit under the Santi and I'm still not comfortable. Any ideas? I can't afford to buy a more expensive dry suit.

heated undergarment might be the only way to go if a santi bz400 isn't cutting it. not sure if you want to layer a 200g underneath or something. are you keeping the bz400 well lofted?

I'd also recommend dry gloves. Once your hands and feet are cold, everything else will be too. You can attache the Kubi or Scuba Force gloves to a regular drysuit seal, no rings necessary.

I dive a Fusion Tech with a merino wool base layer and a Fourth Element Arctic 2 piece undergarment over that. OK for me down to the low 30's. Not sure how Lycra underneath would help, maybe you just need a better base layer. Merino wool is warm while still being quite thin.

Close the vent down a couple of clicks, get a little more air in the suit. I'm guessing not enough air and the garments are squeezed flat.

Dry gloves are great.

Where are you cold at? Or where are you more cold at? Hands/feet/limbs/core/head?

Close the vent down a couple of clicks, get a little more air in the suit. I'm guessing not enough air and the garments are squeezed flat.
I agree, if you are used to diving with the valve fully open you will find that with the Fusion the compression of the skin will exhaust all the air. As broncobowsher said close down the vent several clicks

I agree with what the others have said, I run my valve eight clocks from fully open. I do find that no matter what I do the Fusion is always slightly cooler than my other regular membrane suit with the same undergarments. I have also found that there is quite a bit of evaporative cooling from the skin when out of the water.

I agree, if you are used to diving with the valve fully open you will find that with the Fusion the compression of the skin will exhaust all the air. As broncobowsher said close down the vent several clicks
With about 200 dives on a Fusion Tech, I also find that if the valve is 100% open, I tend to get a little water back through the valve which seems to be a common problem. Closing it a couple clicks cures that issue. As YMMV based on body type and level of bioprene, I wear a wicking tee shirt, 4th Element Exotherm, then set of Arctics, dry gloves (pull overs) with wool liners, then silk hiking liner socks with heavy REI Mountaineering Wool socks. Generally I'm good to about 70 minutes in 48F water. As mentioned earlier a bit of air in the suit goes a long way to keeping you warm, especially the feet and hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom