cold feet re:12 day LOB in Komodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viva1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about ready to book a 12 night trip on The Seven Seas to Komodo for Aug., 2009. We've only been on one LOB before--in Australia for 3 nights to Cod Hole with Mike Ball's catamaran, which was great. Not being a seasoned LOB diver and used to diving mainly in Bonaire--no currents--1 or two dives/day--I'm a little uneasy about being on a LOB for 12 days doing 3-4 dives/day. I know one doesn't need to dive every time, but I'm also concerned about getting seasick.

Can anyone tell me approx. how rough the seas can be in Komodo in August? Also, how stable is the Seven Seas re: feeling/not feeling the roll of the sea? Any tips on best anti-seasick meds to take?

I've been really excited about this trip but need some help in allaying my concerns.
Also, any ideas on best place to buy a new or used vest and hood? How many mm would you recommend for multple dives in Komodo?

Some years ago, I was in Komodo in July with the Komodo Dancer. I'm not very prone to sea sickness normally but I got sea sick when we tried to reach the sourthern dive sites because the sea was very rough....

We then went back to the north quite quickly because nobody was feeling fine... :wink: I think it's really difficult to predict; in July it was also very windy. However, it's really beautiful there. And, I think you can be unlucky and have high waves/strong wind/currents almost everywhere in every season, esp. with a LOB since they are normally operating in relatively open seas.

Another opportunity would be not to go on a LOB but out of Labuan Bajo with one of the land-based operators... ?

Back
Top Bottom