Cold Feet (A Drysuit Question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My present winter setup combines a thick wool sock and the Weezle sock with a Rockboot one size oversize and it's real warm for at least an hour in the mid-30's, but I want to improve the duration.

Since a Rockboot one size oversize is barely big enough for my current insulation, I'm going to try 2 sizes oversize and increase the loft a little and use Smartwool (Merino wool) with the Weezle.

Dave C

Please forgive the self-quote.... it's just to give context for this update.... :)

I had wonderfully warm feet the entire dive of 74 minutes in 39-degree F water yesterday. Not even a hint of any coldness! Max depth was 60 ffw.

I had replaced my old thick wool sock with two pairs of Merino wool socks for the same overall thickness. Wore my usual Weezle socks over that.

I also replaced my 1-size oversize DUI Rockboots with a pair 2-sizes oversize.

I used to have a little constriction when I wore 1-size oversize, but yesterday everthing fit nicely in the bigger Rockboots. Not tight, not sloppy. Laced loosely as usual.

I still need to get a bigger fin pocket and that might even help a little more.

By the way, "Merino wool" socks vary greatly in their content of Merino wool. These were Fox River Mills A2097 Trailhead Trekking Socks with 77% Merino wool, 22% stretch nylon, 1% Spandex. This was the highest Merino wool content I found.

They're pretty pricey locally ($16/pr), but a buddy and I went in on an eBay sale of 6 pairs of "Not Quite Perfect" for a total cost of $39.50 delivered. Imperfections were insignificant.

For me, using a higher grade wool sock and getting rid of contriction improved the warmth of my feet.

Sure, "clown feet", some might say, but I'd say warm clown feet! :D

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom