cold brain injury?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chebby

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I currently have headaches, facial numbness and extreme fatigue for about 2 months.

While my doctor and me are considering other possible causes, I was wondering if DCS or cold related brain injury can be the cause? It started pretty much the same day I went diving with a different mask which resulted in my forehead being exposed to 45 degree water for about 40-50 minutes. Also repeated head exposures to cold seem to worsen the symptoms.

thanks

Hi Chebby,

That is distressing.

Doctors ask questions, so here we go:

1. What diagnostic tests have you undergone and what were the results?

2. What are your physician's working hypotheses?

3. Do you have any other symptoms or signs?

4. Do you have any other medical conditions?

In the meantime, given that the complaints seemingly have been constant over about a 2 month period, it's quite unlikely that they are related to DCI. While they understandably may be exacerbated by exposure of the head to very cold water, it's even less likely that they were initially caused by simple exposure of the forehead to water in the 45 degree range.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

thanks doc,

I'm glad I can eliminate this. I'm just going through a list of things that either doctor suggested or that just came into my head.
It's not constant, it comes in onsets, like I might feel fine for a week, and next week I can barely function.

Doctor thinks it might be some virus or bacteria although all blood tests came back normal. I did lyme desease test and results will be available next week.

I also have some lymph nodes enlargement and ear clogging for about 3 weeks now. I doubt it's related but I will see a sinus doctor tomorrow anyway.

thanks for ur concern

Hey Chebby,

Seems like you have more diagnostics in store before this gets sorted out, but the description really is not at all suggestive of DCI. DCI does not result in signs and symptoms that appear, disappear for a week, then reappear. Nor does it cause congestion of the ears and lymphadenopathy that arise 5 weeks after the last dive.

Whatever is going on, it involves other organ complexes than just the central nervous system. And, it almost certainly is not the result of simple exposure of the forehead to cold water.

Best of luck and again please do keep us informed.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hello Chebby:

This does not sound like DCS to me, either. It persists too long

I'm no doctor Chebby, but I have my head in water that's that cold or colder on a fairly regular basis, and it nna[ rao qqf-0 k wt6m.

Just kidding... I hope you get to the bottom of it soon, and find it's something easily dealt with. Keep us posted!

MSilvia:
I'm no doctor Chebby, but I have my head in water that's that cold or colder on a fairly regular basis, and it nna[ rao qqf-0 k wt6m.

Just kidding... I hope you get to the bottom of it soon, and find it's something easily dealt with. Keep us posted!

:rofl3: :dork2: :rofl3:

Oh, man, have you been sick since our last dive together, June 29?? I vaguely remember you arriving without a mask, and stopping at Cape Ann Divers for a new one. You never told me it did not fit, or that your head was freezing!

From now on, I will always bring my spare mask on all dives... just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom