Cold and warm water reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a reg that I can use just as well in both cold and warm water diving. I'm not really into deep diving at this point, but I don't rule it out for the future. I don't have a lot of $$$ so I'm looking at the "low end" of things.

I'm considering the following (to give you an idea of my price range) and open to more suggestions in this price range:

Mares M12 Proton or Axis
Scuba Pro MK16 with 190 second.
Oceanic GT DX4
Oceanic Alpha 7 sp4 or px2
Zeagle Envoy

Anyone have a favorite? I'm especially interested to know if anyone has used the Oceanics and the Proton.

Zeagle Envoy is not made for cold water. But, the Zeagle DSIV with ZX second stage and ZX octo is.

That is the reg I dive in 42 degree water at 100ft regularly. I have had the reg in all positions and no flooding and no troubles at all.

Brian

paperdesk:
I'm looking for a reg that I can use just as well in both cold and warm water diving. I'm not really into deep diving at this point, but I don't rule it out for the future. I don't have a lot of $$$ so I'm looking at the "low end" of things.

I'm considering the following (to give you an idea of my price range) and open to more suggestions in this price range:

Mares M12 Proton or Axis
Scuba Pro MK16 with 190 second.
Oceanic GT DX4
Oceanic Alpha 7 sp4 or px2
Zeagle Envoy

Anyone have a favorite? I'm especially interested to know if anyone has used the Oceanics and the Proton.

I respect that you don't want to spend a lot of money-- I certainly don't waste mine either. However, just my opinion-- I think that your reg is a pretty important part of your equipment. My primary first/second is not one of the brands you describe, so I'm not sure how they compare in price to mine ( Apeks 100). In any event, the general rule you are looking for is to look for a sealed first stage. This will prevent cold water 'freeze-up', and it works well in warm water too-- it also keeps contaminants out of the first stage.

OK, it's coming together better now. The Zeagle DSIV is a sealed reg? What if the water I'm diving in is over 55 degrees. Then is that considered warm water?

First of all, a sealed reg is the best choice for all temps and water conditions. Nothing can get into the reg to do any damage.

As for temp, 55 is in deed warmer than the 40's, it's all subjective in that realm. However, if the water drops below the upper 40's, now you're in some cold water. The reason I suggested the ZX second stage with the DSIV is because the ZX has a heat sync built into it to keep it from freezing as well. This way you have a first stage and second stage designed to not freeze in cold water.

Hope this helps.

paperdesk:
OK, it's coming together better now. The Zeagle DSIV is a sealed reg? What if the water I'm diving in is over 55 degrees. Then is that considered warm water?

Thanks again, Quarrior. I really like the Zeagle setup and will probably eventually upgrade to that. And Jorgen, thank's for pointing out the Poseidon. I've had a look at them as well, and they seem to have some really nice stuff.

I talked to Scubatoys this morning and he suggested the Tusa RS-130. Sounds like owners of this reg on the board are also really happy with it. If I really get into true cold water diving I'll upgrade to the Zeagle setup.

Looks like I'm all set! Thanks

I think that you should stick to your original options. The Poseidon is really xpensive and completely different style of reg. If you are looking for value iwould recommend the Oceanic. None of theregs mentionedare classed as coldwater regs. But it is all relative to the temperature you are diving in. They say 55 degrees, but I wouldn't bother forcoldwater stuf anything below 45. So if you are always going to be above that temperature, I wouldn't worry about it. I dive nothing above 60 degrees all the time mostly i the low 40s. That is just what I think though...

Yes, I agree the Poseidon's seem to be more popular off shore. Maybe they're cheaper in Europe? Since I'm not planning to dive anything colder than mid fifties I guess that is still considered "warm" water, and I'll get by with the "normal" regs. The Oceanic GT DX4 is a cold water reg though isn't it? That's what LP says.

If you go to www.leisurepro.com you will save lot of money compared to going to a Local shop. I have been buying from them for years and have never had any problems. They are also backed by BBB (Better Business Bureau). You can get a Mares Proton Ice for $374 ($524 @shops) Mares Abyss and Mares V16 Proton Metal for $299 (Mid $400's @shops). All 3 of these Mares are great for extreme conditions. The Abyss is the most common through out this scubaboard and people swear by them. I just bought the V32 Proton Ice and love it.

hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom