Cocos Livaboard tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not been. When researching a trip to another destination, I collected a listing of trip reports on Cocos. Just in case any may have content that could help, and since you posted over 20 hours ago and no answers yet, I'll share my list.

-----1.) Cocos Diving Trip Report, 17 – 27 September, 2018 – by Dan. 11 Trip aboard M/V Argo.
-----2.) Cocos, March 27 – April 5, 2017 – by scubadada. Aboard the Okeanos II.
-----3.) Cocos trip report with pictures, August 2019 – by Erwin Poliakoff. Aboard the Argo.
-----4.) Cocos on Argos, last minute trip.. – by alam555. June 2019 thread; useful for info. by divers about Cocos; rongoodman wrote some dives are deeper and can edge into deco., the bottom is mostly fractured volcanic rock and sea urchins are thick at some sites. Some dives had negative entries. Peeweediver noted you spend lots of time hunkered in the rocks; despite care he took 4 urchin hits.
-----5.) Trip report Cocos Island on Underseahunter’s M/V Argo, 2-12 Nov. – 2016 thread by rs86.
-----6.) Cocos Island trip with Undersea Hunter Group – Oct. 2016 report by peeweediver.
-----7.) Cocos Island trip review with Aggressor Okeanos, Sept. 6 – 16th, 2015 – by Roger_Scuba.
-----8.) Cocos trip report on Undersea Hunter – Dec. 2019 trip report by KrisR.
-----9.) At the risk of fear-mongering, 2017 and 2018 saw ‘issues’ with tiger sharks – one killed a woman and injured a guide Nov. 30, 2017 – Death in Cocos from shark attack – and on April 28, 2018 one possibly ‘test bit’ the BCD of a diver at the surface – German diver attacked by shark – Isla del Coco, Costa Rica – and Undersea Hunter live-aboard noted procedural changes due to risk concerns. Tiger sharks are a ‘feature’ of Cocos diving, but be aware.

Check out Aggressor Liveaboards. they have killer deals now. I just booked Roatan 7 days liveaboard for $999.

COCOS ISLAND Dec 19, 2020 to Dec 29, 2020 (10 nights)

drrich2 included my report from 2016, but here's a few other tips. Bottom line for us...a true trip of a lifetime. We love hammerheads, so...
Take sea sickness meds if you even think you might get queasy. My wife never got sea sick and, yet, spent the entire outbound trip lying down eating only crackers and drinking "sprite-like" soda. Careful getting up in the middle of the night. Outbound seas smashed me into the walls and desk trying to get to the bathroom. Return trip was smooth as glass. Buy and wear strong gloves. My new gloves were ripped at the finger tips by the end of the trip. You spend all dive holding onto the rocks. Stay with the group! We had two folks chase a light that fell off the camera rig for just 30 seconds and the current blew them 1/2 mile away. The rescue protocols (the divers turned on their boat-issued GPS as soon as they realized what was happening) were activated and the boat found them very quickly. Dress appropriately. A few colder upwells made us happy we had a warm second layer (sharkskin type) to put under our 5 mil. Try to sync with the folks hunkered down around you to have no bubbles when the hammers are close. When we did, hammers swam within hugging distance. Seriously. Swam so close they could have been petted...if we were dumb.
I think the tiger shark issues have subsided, but, on ascent, stay with the group.
Enjoy!!

Rob

In addition to that of @peeweediver tips:
- Bring hood and 5mm full wetsuit.
- Don't fin too close to the rocks. I had 11 sea urchin tattoo that took almost 2 years to dissolve away the broken spikes that I could not pull them out of my knee cap & thigh.
- The rest of my tips you may find in my trip report (reference #1 in @drrich2 post above)

I was supposed to be there last week, but Costa Rica is still not allowing us in. Thanks to Trump!
Gathering a group for Cocos with Argo on 10-20 September 2020
That trip has been rescheduled to September 10-20, 2021. Some open spots are available due to this rescheduling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom