Cocos island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This should be a fun trip. And for the record, I'm still going!

I think I will be fine if I get a 3mil jumpsuit and can then use my 3mil shorty with it if needed. Now have to think about gloves and hoods. Aarggh all the gear that's needed.

Coz

Hopefully this won't be a duplicate. I lost my last message.

Gloves are a must. There's a lot of volcanic rock and barnacles that you will need to be holding on to. I only wear a hood to protect my sensitive ears. There were very few people wearing hoods. Maybe me plus one other.

coz:
don't forget to buy 2 of the essentials like masks, fins, etc because if you break a strap or lose a fin you can't just hop over to the dive shop and buy another ... it's a long commute to shore.

If you fly American, you're allowed 2 checked pieces up to 50 pounds. Don't bring a lot of clothes just lots of bathing suits / swim trunks. We generally bring 1 dive gear bag each (carryon computer / regs / mask) and then one combined clothes bag. Matt's right about the extras. I was very close to having to use my spare mask this trip.

Matt's right about the extras. I was very close to having to use my spare mask this trip.
Spare mask, yes, because fit is so crucial. Spare fins? Bring an extra fin strap. The Undersea Hunter, like most liveaboards, can supply you with a pair of fins in the incredibly unlikely event that you lose one. The same goes for the rest of your gear. Save your baggage space for stuff you need.

Vladimir
Actually, I don't believe USH has spare fins. Someone on our trip lost their entire fin and luckily someone was down current and able to retrieve it.

Changing subjects - I just looked at your gallery. What type of camera do you use? I especially liked your photo of the crab in the anemone.

Nonie

This one? Thanks. This one was taken with a 105mm lens, Nikon D70 in a Subal housing, two Nikon SB 105 strobes, a 1.4 teleconverter, and a 2T diopter.

17022anemone_shrimp.jpg

The Cocos photography is a bit more challenging. I used a 20 mm lens most of the time. Next time (June, I hope) I will have my 17-35. We were treated with several close passes, (I actually ducked once) so the mediocre pictures are a reflection on the photographer, rather than the diving.

cocos_hammerhead7.jpg

As for the fins, perhaps you are right. On my trip they outfitted six divers with complete rental gear and seemed to have whatever the others forgot (c-cells, lights, gloves, etc.) but I'm not sure they have extra fins beyond what the renters reserved. It's still pretty hard to lose a fin though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom