Trip Report Cocos Diving Trip Report, 17 -27 September, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just went over my pile of above water pictures from the trip and found this picture taken by one of the Argo crew with their drone. Cocos is small island. A week of diving would pretty much cover most of the dive sites.

4Cocos overview.jpg

I’ll put together a trip report of Socorro later after I’m done with Maldives, which was another incredible liveaboard trip I made in December, a week before going to Socorro.
Waiting for those reports.

...In Dive 10 called Small Dos Amigos, 88 feet depth. Everyone got excited to see the whaleshark. It was huge, the size of a school bus...

Dan was there any discussion of how often whale sharks are seen at Cocos? We did this dive on a summer trip and saw nothing but blue water :)

Dan was there any discussion of how often whale sharks are seen at Cocos? We did this dive on a summer trip and saw nothing but blue water :)

No. The 1st group of 8 divers missed it too. My lucky day, I guess. :D

I just came back from Socorro last week. :D

I saw schooling hammerheads there too, but from a distance (see picture, below). Also saw lots of Oceanic mantas (1-3 of them in almost every dives), dolphins, many kinds of sharks (whitetip, silvertip, silky, Galápagos, etc.) for half the cost of going to Cocos. However, you may not get a chance to get so close to the hammerheads as you would be in Cocos.

View attachment 497648

I’ll put together a trip report of Socorro later after I’m done with Maldives, which was another incredible liveaboard trip I made in December, a week before going to Socorro.

As far as Tiger sharks, I wasn’t lucky to see one when I was there, but another guest who went in August saw one swam by over his head with its eyes rolled up to get ready for a bump check, as shown, below.

View attachment 497649

The flyby woke the DM up, pulled out his poker stick & called everyone to gather up.

View attachment 497650
I was in maldives the last week of December and the current was RIPPING. I’d like your impressions on the difficulty you faced there. We missed 2 dive sites because of washer machine conditions (well 1 definitely washer machine; the other was just a mix of current and jelly fish heaven with shorties).

I will do a write up myself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom