CoCo View or Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I visited CCV in January. It was really amazing. She did her OW referral there and the instructors were great. Our luggage/gear was lost in an airline blackhole for a day and a half and the dive shop came to the rescue loaning us everything we needed to make sure we never had to miss a minute underwater. The dive staff was excellent. Maybe it was a slow week for CCV, but our boats were always less crowded than FIBR's. The food is rustic and reminded me a bit of summer camp, but good. I never had a problem getting full. The bar is straight out of a Jimmy Buffett song, in it's laidback atmosphere, and all of the guests were friendly. I have nothing bad to say about FIBR. I didn't visit there, but the shore diving did seem to be more inconvenient. and the fact that I never really saw people on the shore reefs from FIBR maybe tells you that it was less of a draw for them. FIBR is the kind of place that had water skiers and tubers trailing from the back of a waverunner. Not all the time mind you, but I did see that more than once. CCV has dive boats and a sailboat. It's a different mindset. I logged almost 20 hours in my week there and I couldn't get enough. I would go back to CCV in a second.

I have been going to Coco View since 1983. I like it and it has changed alot. The only thing I do not like is the water access only. I like to ck out other food options in town GIO'S is awesome but they "CV"will make boat options available. But a small hassle no biggie!

Hilto:
undefined.... I recall coming around a bend on the reef with my 7 or 8 fellow divers from Inn of Last Resort, and encountering a wall of bubbling humans from Anthony's or CoCo View or who knows where. We were a nice, modest group from a great resort, confronted with the masses from the hotter spots. I was happy to swim past them, and glad that we only saw them every couple of days.

Unless you made a trip around the island every couple of days, the 'wall of bubbling humans' doubtfully were from FI or CCV. IOLR is on the north side of the island of Roatan, Fi and CCV are in the center on the south side.

CCV's biggest draw is the shore diving and the 24/7 diving opportunities. Being treated as responsible adults who can dive without having their hands held also has a lot to do with our choice.

Dee:
Unless you made a trip around the island every couple of days <SNIP> Being treated as responsible adults who can dive without having their hands held also has a lot to do with our choice.

I used to like hamburger... then I ate a steak. :10:

Be forewarned: I am also a CocoNut (check out CocoView's website if you don't know what this is!)

I would pick CocoView without hesitation over Fantasy Island. I have made several trips to Cocoview, including leading groups of up to 22 folks. However, since I am also accustomed to dealing with differences in people's nature, take note of the suggestions in the previous replies. If you are taking this trip to be entertained, lay on the beach and have drinks with little umbrellas, do a dive or two a day, then retire to your room for your dose of TV, then Fantasy Island would be the place for you. On the other hand, if you truly want to dive, when you want, how you want, as much as you want, and don't care about the above (except the available A/C as previously mentioned), then CocoView is the place. I have stayed in the cabanas, the bungalows, and several of the beach houses and I prefer no A/C. I will admit that sometimes it can get a little warm in the middle of the day, but why would you be in your room in the middle of the day anyway? ( I only know this because I once went back to the room for extra batteries!) Have never been too hot, but occasionally in the winter used a blanket! Its strange how cool 72 degrees feels in the tropics after a week of diving!

Side note to RoatanMan: Enjoyed finally meeting you on the dinner cruise at Dema!

Side note to RoatanMan: Enjoyed finally meeting you on the dinner cruise at Dema![/QUOTE]

Truly the one highlight of an otherwise dreary DEMA, it was a pleasure!

Went to FI about a year and a half ago with some folks who love FI and want no part of CocoView. Its just what people like. When I went it was great for non-diving spouse. People I went with hit FI twice a year. Went over to CCV. I see the attraction but after 3-4 dives a day at FI frankly I was ready for a mixed drink. Hey its a vacation. Everyone has their own opinion on this issue.

Read my trip report on IOLR.

chebel:
I'm trying to get some information on places to stay for a dive trip to Roatan. We've pretty much narrowed it to CoCO View and Fantasy Island. Can anyone compare the two?

Back
Top Bottom