CoCo View February 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, Mixed up the dates. We go on the 30th. Hope you still have nice flights.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2016 at 01:44 PM ----------

Sorry, Mixed up the dates. We go on Jan 30th. Hope you still have nice flights.

I'll also be in Roatan for my first trip there in February, but not staying at CCV. It'll be nice to get back into the warmer waters instead of the cold lake diving I've been doing lately. Any word on water temps in February?

A little outside your window, March 5-12. First time to CCV/Roatan/Honduras

Water temp is pretty consistently 82 degrees. On the South side, in CCV's "Front Yard", on a calm Sunny day, I've seen it get into the 90's surface temp.

Going to test dive my recreational gear this weekend at Ginnie Springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In just 6 days and a few minutes I will be there. Looking at the webcam has me a bit worried (I know - it will be what it will be). The water on the front yard cam and the doc cam looks like dark chocolate milk. I'm wondering how soon it takes to clear after a rain (they had rain a day or so ago) and how the shore diving will be if these conditons occur while I'm there. I'm assuming the boat dive sites wouldn't be affected much.

In any event, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my stay there. Right now overnight temps here have been in negative numbers and the daytime has been single digits with a really nasty wind. Even if the vis is bad it will still be better than my clean-the-lake and milfoil remediation dives up here. They don't have bull sharks there - do they???

We went for our first trip September 2015. Water temp (surface0 in the 90s. I would have dove naked if it wouldn't have resulted in so many false juvenile drumfish sightings. Needless to say, it was warm, beautiful and amazing. A little stirred up but that was due to a system at the time and apparently not the norm. We are thinking of going back in January 2017. Has anyone been there at that time. Thoughts? General weather conditions etc. Happy travels to those going, those there and those going back.

January in the Bay Islands, as is the case in most of the Caribbean, can bring unsettled weather. Here it comes in the form of "Northers", usually precipitated by polar pushes Southward thru the US. Remember that Polar Vortex stuff in 2014-15? It made the US miserable, affecting Texas.... Guess what's the "next stop" on that express train?

When they come, they hit Coz, Belize and often continue South to Roatan. This is what many refer to as the "end of the tropical storm season" as it lingers as a threat until the end of February.

CCV is located on the South side, protected from the battering to the North and West brought in by these Northers. It might be rainy, the viz might be diminished, but the boats run out of CCV pretty much so 7/52/365.

DogDiver is just back and owes us a trip report. The dive ops in West and North were quite hampered last week- heard all the whining on TwitAdvisor. By looking at the CCV Webcam, looks like diving went on at CCV without any pauses.

January? Bring a Goretex shell parka. It might rain. :wink:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom