Cobra "Permanent" Error Mode - how is it cleared?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Chris. As Alberto of DiveNav said, welcome to Scubaboard, and about time Suunto had a presence here.
I've been a Cobra user for a number of years, and really welcome the opportunity to get clarification on some details.

So here's one that's been pending for awhile. See this thread for background:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...-suunto-vyper-looks-like-when-youre-dead.html
The thread starts with an anecdote of somebody's lost computer, and may seem to ramble a bit, but the core of my question is in post #11. Please read at least that, it provides context for why this seems complex, why the manual isn't clear, and why the question seems more nuanced than it seems it should.

The question is not how you get into error mode, that's understood. Don't waste time explaining that.

What I'd like to know is exactly how "permanent error mode" is cleared and the computer returns to normal operation.
Does it vary with model?
Does the time to clear depend on how badly it's bent?
Will it count down to "clear" visibly and correctly for all profiles?
Does removing/replacing the battery clear it immediately?

Thanks.

reefduffer,

Unfortunately, that is not an error from a diver mistake. The computer has a fault within the pressure sensor circuit. Any Suunto diving computer with this error is unrepairable and no longer safe to dive. How old is your computer and did you purchase it from an authorized dealer?

Thanks,
Chris from Suunto

reefduffer,

Unfortunately, that is not an error from a diver mistake. The computer has a fault within the pressure sensor circuit. Any Suunto diving computer with this error is unrepairable and no longer safe to dive. How old is your computer and did you purchase it from an authorized dealer?

Thanks,
Chris from Suunto

Ummm.... Wow. Just Wow. I was hoping for more understanding of Suunto products. But perhaps I'm too hasty, and I didn't ask my question clearly, or let the anecdotal information in the referenced thread confuse the issue.

Please take a look at the Manual for the Suunto Cobra, which you can download at
Suunto Cobra | Suunto

Please look at the description of Error Mode in Section 3.9 on page 39.
"The Error Mode results from omitted decompression, "

Additional information is in the last section titled "Display Above The Ceiling" on page 27,at the end of section 3.3.6, "Decompression Dives",
at the bottom of page 35 in section 3.7, "Audible and Visual Alarms",
and on page 32-33 in section 3.6.1. "Surface Interval", which has figure 3.31 showing what the "Er" display looks like.

I think it's pretty clear that this is "an error from a diver mistake". I suppose it's quite possible that it could also be caused by a faulty pressure sensor.
But before we go down that path, let's reset the discussion in terms of the description of "Error Mode" in the referenced manual sections. That's what I was asking about.

FWIW, my Cobra, bought new from an authorized dealer, has never been in Error Mode, and I have no intention of putting it there, but **** happens. My question was asked because I have seen this case on another diver's Cobra (see OP), and have seen reports of it here on Scubaboard, and I like to know how my life support equipment works.

reefduffer,

The "permanent" error mode that was spoke of in the post that you included a link to is due to a computer malfunction within the pressure sensor circuit. The computer thinks it is continuously diving and to erroneous depths for hours on end. If this error occurs there is no way to clear it from the computer. The fault will stay within the memory in the computer even after the battery is removed. This is an unrepairable fault and the unit would need to be replaced.

As you already know, if a diver omits a safety stop obligation the computer will display "ER" (error) and lock up for 48 hours. The diver will not be able to dive with nor use any of the computers functions besides time mode for the 48 hours until the "ER" clears.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

reefduffer,

The "permanent" error mode that was spoke of in the post that you included a link to is due to a computer malfunction within the pressure sensor circuit. The computer thinks it is continuously diving and to erroneous depths for hours on end. If this error occurs there is no way to clear it from the computer. The fault will stay within the memory in the computer even after the battery is removed. This is an unrepairable fault and the unit would need to be replaced.

As you already know, if a diver omits a safety stop obligation the computer will display "ER" (error) and lock up for 48 hours. The diver will not be able to dive with nor use any of the computers functions besides time mode for the 48 hours until the "ER" clears.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

OK, thank you. I thought there had to be a disconnect in what we were discussing, and I think we're converged again.

I think the only remaining anomalies from it clearing in 48 hours are the diver I mentioned in the other thread, and I will chalk that up to either:
- He was mistaken about his surface interval.
- His pressure sensor failed in the week since his last dive. Since I don't know him, it's possible it never cleared ER mode. It could happen.

So I'm back to understanding this as clearing in 48 hours, for all profiles no matter how egregious, as long as the hardware hasn't failed.

FWIW, my puzzlement was partly because the manual never explicitly says this, although it, and common sense, implies it, and the manual does call it "permanent error mode" (see pages 27, 34, 35, and 39). I'm not expecting revisions to the manual, just explaining why I was seeking clarification.

Thanks again.

reefduffer,

Yes, if the computer is in error due to a divers misstep no matter how minor or major, the computer will clear within 48 hours. Since the computer cannot monitor the actual physiological functions of an individual diver for safety purposes it defaults to 48 hours. My apologies for the confusion.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom